Dave gave some good feedback. But because there's more than one right answer, here's my take:

Quote Originally Posted by nick47
1. How do you close a program which won't close? (The Knoppix equivalent of "End Task")
What versions of Knoppix are you running? Like Windows, the program will be in a different part of the menu depending on the version. The version-independent way is to click on "K > Run Command", type "xkill" in the text box, and the click on the offending window. Just be careful as there is no confirmation. Once you click on the window, that process is gone.

Another way, which is more like the task manager, is to press Ctrl+ESC. This brings up a the ProcessTable window. Select the process you want to kill by clicking on it and then click "kill." BTW, you can only kill processes you own.

Quote Originally Posted by nick47
2. How do you Log out/off/whatever you call it and log back on without losing all your stuff!?
Again, this depends on what version of Knoppix you are using. If you are using version 3.8.1 or later, my personal favorite is to use the Persistent Disk Image. To create one, "K > KNOPPIX > Configure > Create persistent Knoppix disk image" and answer the questions. Of course, you'll need some kind of writable medium, like a USB stick, with either a linux partition or a FAT partition. BTW, floppy is not big enough.

There are many other ways. Post back if you want to know about those.

Quote Originally Posted by nick47
3. How the hell do you make the sound work? Seriously, I mean, can anyone answer this?
In all honesty, I don't know. For me on my machine, it just works. Repost to the Hardware&Booting forum with your sound card question. In particular you may want to run this code from a root terminal window first and include the contents of post.txt in your post:

Code:
(set -x
lspci
lsmod
) >& post.txt
To start a root terminal, "K > KNOPPIX > Root Shell", if you are using Knoppix 3.8.2.

Also keep in mind that the Knoppix LiveCD was not designed to run as an optimized version of Linux. Rather, it was designed to demo Linux and work on "average" hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by nick47
I realise that this seems rude but I am one of those people who thinks Linux/Unix is rubbish. But I always try to give it a go! I really want to like it, but I can not get anywhere! Well I can get quite far, but I am finding the whole thing a huge uphill battle.
As I wrote above, Knoppix is a demo. To really make it work for your system you'd probably want to install Linux to a harddrive. While Knoppix runs OK installed to a harddrive, other distros are better designed for a full install, e.g. Ubuntu, Red Hat, Mandriva, SuSE, Xandros, etc.

I'd also recommend seeking out a local Linux Users Group (LUG). Sometimes live, in-person help can resolve issues much faster than watching the forums. You may also get to see some really customized systems running linux.

Quote Originally Posted by nick47
The wiki website's not working, the FAQ is a bit lacking in info and the forum replies are all the same: "A quick search on the forum's will find that answer fo you!" It's NOT TRUE!! I have been looking all over the place!
First, don't panic. I agree. The wiki doesn't work sometimes. It's a work in progress. Second, I'd like to encourage you to help, afterall it's a wiki. Anyone can edit it. So, create a username on the wiki and edit your own page. If you think something is unclear in the docs, ask your question in an appropriate forum. Then summarize and post it in the wiki, referencing the forum. As for searching the wiki and forums, I've had very good results with using google: "site:knoppix.net/forum rwcitek" or "site:knoppix.net/wiki rwcitek"

Sure Linux is frustrating at times. But nothing worthwhile comes easy. Part of it is just learning the culture.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org