I'm trying to use Knoppix 3.9 with Asus S5A laptop (Intel i915 chipset, Pentium M) with external optical drive (slim IDE drive connected to computer via USB). I have set it to boot from CD/DVD and it boots fine. After scanning USB/Firewire hardware it shows "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry." and it goes to limited shell. The only thing I have in USB is the optical drive.
edit: it works with Knoppix 4.02. Thread can be closed.

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$225.00
Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$195.00
MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer
$2390.00
MITS Altair Computer Notes January/February 1977
$100.00
MITS Altair Computer Notes June 1976
$90.00
MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800
$189.95
S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)
$34.99
S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99
Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair
$46.00