Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Disconnect Reconnect Network line

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK, E Mids.
    Posts
    3

    Disconnect Reconnect Network line

    Hi

    When I leave my home pc for some time I am in the habit of disconnecting my RJ45 from my ADSL modem/Router. This works fine with WInXP on reconnection. My knoppix box however doesn't automatically find the modem on reconnection - there is simply no internet, no Google, no bookmarked web sites.

    Sometimes on booting up it won't find the modem either. To be truthful this sometimes happens with XP.

    Can anyone advise me of the right procedure for reconnecting?

    Unable to discover my knoppix version number but installed from live CD of about 2 years ago. Hope that helps.

    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Many thanks
    ScriptHam

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Disconnect Reconnect Network line

    Quote Originally Posted by ScriptHam
    When I leave my home pc for some time I am in the habit of disconnecting my RJ45 from my ADSL modem/Router.....
    I'm not clear on why you are doing this. Is it a security issue to keep hackers out, an equipment safety issue to avoid damage from lightning strikes and the like, or something else?

    I don't do as you do, so this is not from experience. But I would think it would be far better if you want to unplug something, assuming that there is only one computer on the router, to disconnect the link between the router and the modem. That way a surge coming in can't damage your router, nor can a hacker looking for routers to exploit. Your router should respond to the disconnect and reconnect fairly quickly and it certainly will not be operating system dependent.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    about 2 years ago
    Posts: 1
    strange...

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by tdjokic
    about 2 years ago
    Posts: 1
    strange...
    About 2 years ago? Looks to me like he just joined today. However, a waiting time on posting might be a good idea, would certainly encourage people to read the existing posts and the wiki and cut down on the signal-to-noise ratio problems ......
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK, E Mids.
    Posts
    3

    Not Quite Done Yet

    Hi Harry

    Thanks for your posts.

    I am a new member on this forum today as you observe.

    I have experimented with Linux for several years. Due to conflicts I can't linstall from a DVD on the pc I use for experimentation. Have tried libranet, vector, white box, mandrake, suse ... all without success. This leaves me just an old live CD of Knoppix and by and large it works. There are posts, by me under my alias ScriptHam, somewhere on the Libranet forum dealing with this.

    Your solution to disconnect between the router and the modem is I'm sure very good. In my case the modem and router are combined - Dlink DSL G604T - and so I wondered if there were any other possibilities?

    I think that it ought to be possible to get linux to repeat whatever it did at boot up to connect to the router/modem but I am a newbie. I was hoping that maybe someone knew.

    Anyway thanks again.

    ScriptHam

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Not Quite Done Yet

    Quote Originally Posted by ScriptHam
    Your solution to disconnect between the router and the modem is I'm sure very good. In my case the modem and router are combined - Dlink DSL G604T - and so I wondered if there were any other possibilities?
    I hate to state the obvious, but there should still be an RJ-11 jack going into the router/modem, and I would give you pretty good odds that if you unplug there rather than at the RJ-45 you'll still get disconnected from the Internet.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You can try reconnecting with:
    ifup eth0
    pump -i eth0
    If eth0 is what you use, that is. If it doesn't work do "ifdown eth0" first.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK, E Mids.
    Posts
    3
    Hi Harry and Markus

    Harry I had though about disconnecting the RJ11, now I see that it will disconnect from the internet and should reconnect without disturbing the state of Linux. Thanks for this I will put it to the test. As you indicate there are good odds that it will work perfectly well.

    Markus I will try this at the next opportunity, am running XP just now: ahhh! not a bad time to try it on the Linux box then. Maybe later tonight.

    Thanks gents I can see me using both methods.

    ScriptHam

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless network connection won't reconnect
    By paulcsf in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 10:06 AM
  2. DOS Command Line?
    By Mongoose in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 12:23 AM
  3. Help! How can I disconnect
    By rApJtR in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 01:23 AM
  4. Kppp will initialize Modem, Dial, but then disconnect
    By mgpope in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 08:35 PM
  5. Off-line LEXiTRON
    By Sucker in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2003, 06:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB picture

Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB

$285.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p

$89.99



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91