-
Recovering files from a WinXP machine
I've tried several methods of recovering files from a non-working Windows XP machine using Knoppix 3.7 and the "Computer First Aid Using Knoppix" site (http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/).
I've tried copying files to a USB flash drive (128 MB, FAT file system) and get an error saying the files can't be copied. The permissions said Read/Write or something similar, so I don't know if that's the problem or not...
I've tried all three options from the site to try Windows Networking to copy the files to another computer running Windows XP, none of which worked. Usually a connection error of some sort... even though I could access the internet running Knoppix. It was plugged into a wireless G router which was connected to a PPPoE connection, by the way.
I've also tried emailing files from a web-based email account, but just like most, they will not allow you to send several files or huge attachments. Could there possibly be an email client program in Knoppix that would let you send large amounts of files at once?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, either other methods of transferring the files, or possibilities of why what I've already tried doesn't work. I've searched the forums a bit, but found nothing that helped.
Thank you.
-Mike
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Recovering files from a WinXP machine

Originally Posted by
mikazo
I've tried copying files to a USB flash drive (128 MB, FAT file system) and get an error saying the files can't be copied. The permissions said Read/Write or something similar, so I don't know if that's the problem or not...
Lots of things going on here. When asking for assistance it is best to be as exact with any error messages you see as you can. We can only guess based on what you tel us, and that isn't as likely to get as good of results as actually knowing what the error was.
You problem might be as simple as not having mounted the USB device read/write. There are options in the mount command if you use a shell command line (see man mount for details) or from the GUI you right click on the USB flash device and use the actions ... submenu. I just can't tell from what you wrote.
I transfer files across my network all of the time. Sometimes networking between Knoppix and the various flavors of Windows can be a pain. I often fire up a FTP server on one Windows system, then can use any FTP client in Windows or Knoppx on other systems to move the files (Konquror is an FTP client). Heck sometimes even Windows networking to other windows systems is a pain, I had to use FTP to transfer the Knoppix DVD ISO today between two Win98 systems, it fits in the FAT32 file system but is too big for Microsoft's networking to move it! My advise: Get a windows based FTP server and learn how to set it up and run it when needed, you will find it comes in handy for a lot of things.
There are programs in Linux that will let you package up lots of files into one (the Linux equivalent of Winzip or Pkzip), and there are sites that will let you upload as much as a gigabyte for temporary storage or transfer, but this is certainly doing it the hard way.
Attachment size on e-mail is more likely limited by your ISP than by the mail client, so getting a different mail client isn't the best way to approach this.
-
I guess I should have written down the error message with the USB flash drive so that I could be more specific... it's just that the computers I was working with are currently across town from me. I was under the impression that it would mount itself read/write automatically if it was plugged into the computer before turning the computer on. Next time I get the chance, I can post the exact error message I get.
I was trying to avoid using email or remote file storage, because of upload times and such, but if it's the only possibility left, I guess I'll have to resort to that. As for an FTP server, I can give it a try. I definitely agree that networking even between two Windows machines can be a pain... haha.
Thank you for your suggestions, it's appreciated.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
mikazo
. I was under the impression that it would mount itself read/write automatically if it was plugged into the computer before turning the computer on.
Then that 's almost certainly your problem. Knoppix defaults all mounts to read only. Remember, Knoppix is intended as a Live CD often used as an introduction to Linux. Mounting read-only is part of it's "first do no harm" approach.
Another thing I had ment to mention is that many USB flash devices have a write protect switch on them. If your does you will need to be sure the device is writeble that way too, and unfortunately it's not usually well marked.
-
Just thought I'd post and let you know that the FTP server method worked for recovering the files. Thanks again.
Similar Threads
-
By Tellytubby in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 8
Last Post: 01-15-2007, 07:56 AM
-
By tkurine in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 04:42 PM
-
By Johnny3 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-31-2003, 07:19 PM
-
By Kethinov in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 09-28-2003, 09:51 PM
-
By fussyoldfart in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HYNIX 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SERVER MEMORY
$600.00

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

SK hynix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 SDRAM PC4-2133P 288-Pin DIMM HMA41GU7AFR8N-TF
$65.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$288.19

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E2UI PC4-3200AA-RB2-12 DDR4 Server Memory | Tested
$435.00

Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory
$199.99

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00