-
DVD 8-16-05 Can't Find Filesystem
I'm trying to boot to this DVD, which burned successfully. MD5 checked OK. I have an Intel 925XE Chipset based motherboard, which has the bootable drive set to CD-ROM. It boots to the disc then said it can't find the Knoppix filesystem. Is this a limitation of my board/BIOS not supporting booting to DVDs? Any info would be great!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: DVD 8-16-05 Can't Find Filesystem

Originally Posted by
muzicman82
It boots to the disc then said it can't find the Knoppix filesystem. Is this a limitation of my board/BIOS not supporting booting to DVDs? Any info would be great!
I doubt very much that is is a BIOS not supporting booting from a DVD. My notebook boots the DVD fine. A desktop (about 6 years old, AMD 1 Ghz cpu, Abit motherboard) does seem to have a BIOS issue. But in that case the BIOS just doesn't boot the DVD at all; it does not start to boot and then have a problem. Using Smart Boot Manager, by the way, does allow me to boot the DVD on that system, so if my information doesn't convince you and you want to prove it to yourself, you could make a SBM floppy and try to see if that changes the booting results.
I did see this "can't find filesystem" one time on a friend's system who I gave a DVD to. We just rebooted and tried again and it booted, as far as I know he hasn't seen the problem again since. It would be nice to pin down what it is though.
-
Thanks for that info. I'll try UBCD tonight. I built this PC only 2 months ago, and it's ridiculously fast and powerful, so I don't know what it is. Think it would have anything to do with the DVD drive being a SATA and not ATAPI? Would the system need a driver loaded first? It's just weird it starts to boot then quits.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
muzicman82
Think it would have anything to do with the DVD drive being a SATA and not ATAPI?
This is just a guess, but I would think it's highly likely that that could be the issue.
Similar Threads
-
By nofsystem in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
-
By boomer777 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-11-2005, 10:26 PM
-
By rabinhood in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-21-2005, 09:39 PM
-
By sfit in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 05:50 PM
-
By timjg in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-13-2003, 12:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00

HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$189.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit
$199.99

Lot of 3 SK HYNIX 16GB 1RX4 PC4-2666V-RC2-11 DDR4 Server MEMORY HMA82GR7AFR4N-VK
$180.00

SAMSUNG M386A8K40BM2-CTD 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 MEMORY
$270.00

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98