Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Problem with home=option since 3.8

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    17

    Problem with home=option since 3.8

    I have an encrypted persistent home on an external usb harddrive. The home= option works perfectly with it in every version up to and including 3.7. Subsequent versions ignore the cheat code, launching me into a 'virgin' ramdisk. I can then sudo mount -t ext2 -o etc. and access the drive, but I sure would like to be able to do what I have done for several years now, which is type home=/dev/sda1 and after a bit type in my password and be in my persistent home as user Knoppix. I tried /dev/uba1in those versions when the drive was designated as such (I notice that in 4.0.2 we are back to sda1) but to no avail. I would really like some help with this. Just knowing it was no longer possible would be better than this uncertainty. Thanks for any help you care to give.
    Yours-Tbobz

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Problem with home=option since 3.8

    Quote Originally Posted by tbobz
    Just knowing it was no longer possible would be better than this uncertainty.
    It is no longer possible ... sort of. What's happened is that with 3.8 the persistent home directory feature had become the persistent Knoppix disk image (PDI) which uses unionfs and encompasses more that just the home folder. That's the reason for the name change and why older versions no longer "work."

    The solution is to create a PDI (you can include encryption, but it's a royal pain), mount your old home folder someplace else (e.g. /tmp) and then copy the files from /tmp/knoppix (for example) into /home/knoppix.

    Good luck and let us know how things go.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    17
    Thank you so much for this explanation. If I could impose upon you just a bit more I have a couple of follow up questions.1)If I were to transfer my files from my persistent home to a newly created PDI could I (and if so, how) on subsequent boots mount the PDI in a manner similar to the manner in which I mount my current persistent home ie. what is the PDI cheat code? 2) What is the 'royal pain' about encrypting the PDI?
    Again, thank you for clarifying this issue for me. I guess I need to more closely read changelogs.
    Yours-Tbobz

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1

    Re: Problem with home=option since 3.8

    Quote Originally Posted by rwcitek
    Quote Originally Posted by tbobz
    Just knowing it was no longer possible would be better than this uncertainty.
    It is no longer possible ... sort of. What's happened is that with 3.8 the persistent home directory feature had become the persistent Knoppix disk image (PDI) which uses unionfs and encompasses more that just the home folder. That's the reason for the name change and why older versions no longer "work."

    The solution is to create a PDI (you can include encryption, but it's a royal pain), mount your old home folder someplace else (e.g. /tmp) and then copy the files from /tmp/knoppix (for example) into /home/knoppix.

    Good luck and let us know how things go.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org
    I have a similar problem. I have a USB hard drive on which I used to store my home directory with Knoppix 3.3. With 3.3 you can either mount a partition directly as a home directory, or have an image file of the directory. At boot time I would type in "home=/dev/sda1".

    With Knoppix 4.0.2 I am no longer able to do this. I have tried creating a "knoppix.img" file and typing
    home=scan
    home=/dev/sda1
    home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img
    home=/mnt/sda1
    home=/mnt/sda1/knoppix.img
    but none of them work. What am I doing wrong? How can I trouble-shoot?

    Regards,
    Paul

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Problem with home=option since 3.8

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacala
    I have a similar problem. I have a USB hard drive on which I used to store my home directory with Knoppix 3.3. With 3.3 you can either mount a partition directly as a home directory, or have an image file of the directory. At boot time I would type in "home=/dev/sda1".

    With Knoppix 4.0.2 I am no longer able to do this. I have tried creating a "knoppix.img" file and typing
    home=scan
    home=/dev/sda1
    home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img
    home=/mnt/sda1
    home=/mnt/sda1/knoppix.img
    but none of them work. What am I doing wrong? How can I trouble-shoot?
    Taken from post http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=82161#82161
    3. tried to mount my Lexar usb drive where I keep my install goodies. Wouldn't mount .... DMESG showed SDA1 now called UBA1..... why ???
    This is due to a linux kernel change. The very brain of the OS, the Linux kernel version 2.6.x, the internal architechture has changed and this has resulted in USB devices mapped to /dev/uba. Yes this is frustrating but going forward, this may be a permanent change. It is more logical to have USB devices at a /dev/uba1 as opposed to /dev/sda1 because /dev/sd? was created years ago for SCSI devices.
    This change occured in the time between Knoppix 3.7 & 3.8.x and the change is in Knoppix 3.8.x & up.
    Try using home=/dev/uba1

    I hope this helps.
    James

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.9 problem with home= ?
    By uw2005 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 06:08 AM
  2. Problem booting with a home directory..
    By williamb in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 02:41 AM
  3. Problem with "toram" option with my remaster
    By Gromit in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 05:01 AM
  4. Persistent Home with PMI problem
    By Serow225 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 04:36 AM
  5. Persistant Home problem
    By monkeyman in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 05:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5" SATA III 3D NAND SSD MZ-76E2T0 94-100% Health

$207.00



Samsung PM43H 43

Samsung PM43H 43" Commercial Display READ

$300.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor

$41.00



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



Samsung Galaxy 9.6'' Tablet - E SM-T560NU - Black - 16GB Gray | For Parts picture

Samsung Galaxy 9.6'' Tablet - E SM-T560NU - Black - 16GB Gray | For Parts

$35.99



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00