-
Re: Problem with home=option since 3.8

Originally Posted by
rwcitek

Originally Posted by
tbobz
Just knowing it was no longer possible would be better than this uncertainty.
It is no longer possible ... sort of. What's happened is that with 3.8 the persistent home directory feature had become the persistent Knoppix disk image (PDI) which uses unionfs and encompasses more that just the home folder. That's the reason for the name change and why older versions no longer "work."
The solution is to create a PDI (you can include encryption, but it's a royal pain), mount your old home folder someplace else (e.g. /tmp) and then copy the files from /tmp/knoppix (for example) into /home/knoppix.
Good luck and let us know how things go.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
I have a similar problem. I have a USB hard drive on which I used to store my home directory with Knoppix 3.3. With 3.3 you can either mount a partition directly as a home directory, or have an image file of the directory. At boot time I would type in "home=/dev/sda1".
With Knoppix 4.0.2 I am no longer able to do this. I have tried creating a "knoppix.img" file and typing
home=scan
home=/dev/sda1
home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img
home=/mnt/sda1
home=/mnt/sda1/knoppix.img
but none of them work. What am I doing wrong? How can I trouble-shoot?
Regards,
Paul
Similar Threads
-
By uw2005 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-09-2005, 06:08 AM
-
By williamb in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-11-2005, 02:41 AM
-
By Gromit in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-08-2005, 05:01 AM
-
By Serow225 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-27-2004, 04:36 AM
-
By monkeyman in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Amiga Picasso II RTG Graphics Card for Amiga 2000 3000 And 4000
$349.99

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ
$279.00

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500
$50.00

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage
$200.00

Amiga 1000 Computer W/ Daphne Chip, Commodore A1000 (As-Is)
$239.75

Amiga 1000 Motherboard W/ Daphne Chip, Commodore A1000 (As-Is)
$239.75

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested
$200.00

(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T)
$329.98

ZuluSCSI Compact RP2040 - an affordable SCSI-2 (and 1) emulator w/ USB-C
$45.00

COMMODORE 1541-II FLOPPY DRIVE FOR C64 64C 128 TESTED AND WORKING LX56 💾
$159.99