Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Installing KnoppixMyth

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Left Hand Path, Canada
    Posts
    2

    Installing KnoppixMyth

    I'm not sure if this is the right place to be, and if it isn't, I'm sure the mods won't hesitate to delete this post but I thought I'd give it a shot. I just put together an HTPC with the following specs:

    ASRock P4VM8
    Samsung 80gb SATA2
    ASUS 16x DVD-ROM
    Pentium 4 1.6
    Chaintech 7.1 Soundcard
    ASUS V9400-X/TD GEFORCE MX 4000
    512mb of Hynix RAM

    When I try to install KnoppMyth and manually partition the drive it says:

    OPENED DISK READ-ONLY - you have no permission to write
    FATAL ERROR: Cannot get disk size
    Press any key to exit cfdisk

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    My guess it that it has something to do with that dirve being SATS2. But that's just a guess.

    You are right though, hardware abd booting doesn't seem the best place for this. I would think either Other Live CDs or the Hdd Install forum would have been better choices. I'll move it to the HDD install forum.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Left Hand Path, Canada
    Posts
    2
    Damn, I hope it isn't the SATA2 drive. I got it on sale for like $63 that's why I got it.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMike
    Damn, I hope it isn't the SATA2 drive. I got it on sale for like $63 that's why I got it.
    Remember, installing for Knoppix is a complete afterthought. It's intended to be a Live CD. You may have much better results installing Debian (the distro Knoppix is based on). Of course, even there you may have to use the bleeding edge version, but in the long run I would expect your results to be much better.

Similar Threads

  1. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



WD Re 3TB Enterprise 3.5

WD Re 3TB Enterprise 3.5" HDD SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB Cache

$70.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba MG03ACA400 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5

Toshiba MG03ACA400 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise HDD (V6313)

$61.56



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive picture

Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive

$49.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00