Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Knoppix using NatSemi DP83815 stopped working

  1. #31
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Strange

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerDragon
    I have the HP Pavilion ze4125... it has the same natsemi chip as mentioned in this thread.
    Ethtool (in Knoppix since the May 3 release) is giving me the following rerister values for my NIC:

    Address Data
    ------- ------
    0x00 0x3c08
    0x01 0x2400
    0x02 0x2cd0
    0x03 0xcf82
    0x04 0x0000
    0x05 0x0000
    0x06 0x0000
    0x07 0x01a1
    0x08 0x6630
    0x09 0x41c8
    0x0a 0xa098
    0x0b 0x7d55


    Could you please run sudo ethtool -e from a shell and tell me what your values are?

  2. #32
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironi
    Harry, did you solve the problem with your NIC? I have two working DP83815 cards in my PII box if you need the correct EEPROM settings (not sure what you'd need exactly, though).
    Could you also run the ethtool command (sudo ethtool -e) and tell me what you have for your nat-semi card(s) with that command? Thanks in advance. And are the cards still working for you with Knoppix?

    My values should be in my previous post to TrigerDragon.

  3. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2

    the Nat. Semi. DP83815

    It seems to be a lot of trouble with this network card. Sorry I don't understand everythings but I hope my trouble with this hardware can help you: by using knoppix on my HP Omnibook xe 4500 everything works well but not the access to the Network . So I decided to install Knoppix on my Harddrive. To save my "W2K-configuration" I want to save the disk with Ghost. To do this I create a dos-bootdisk with access on our Windows-network. Everything works well until I use ghost: he gives me an amazing time to save my datas (92 hours!). Spend a lot of time to find out why: the procedure works with many others of our Computers and Omnibooks too !! The fact: dowload from the network to my PC -> OK, upload from my PC to the networkdrives -> 1MB per minute !!!! The diag.exe givs me an EEPROM Checksum failur! I think it is not Knoppix that doesn't work but this Hardware from Nat. Semi.
    Has somebody an idee how i could resolve this problem ?
    Thank you and I wish all the best for Knoppix

  4. #34

    Thanks!!

    Thank you soooo much for finding this work around. I have Redhat linux 9.0 installed, it works fine for everything always. I recently downloaded Knoppix for some friends, and decided to try it out. My notebook uses the same network interface as yours, and wouldn't work. (It does in Redhat 9.0 using the default kernel as well as a custom built 2.4.21 with the latest working ACPI patch). Now it all works. Specs below.

    HP Pavilion ZE4145
    512M DDR SDRAM
    16/32/64M Shared Video Memory
    IGP320 Graphics Processor (No DRI support yet, POOEY!) (Reported as ATI Radeon Mobility U1)
    40 Gig Hard drive
    16x24x12x24 DVD+cd/rw

    Pure Spiffieness

  5. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6
    I have an HP/Compaq nx9005 notebook and I have verified that I have the same network card as you and when I use knoppix I have never managed to get the internal NIC working.

    The only way I can get onto the LAN is to plug in a 3Com PCMCIA card instead.

    Before I used Knoppix I re-installed WinXP Pro and patched it up using the Windows Update feature, as a consequence I cannot say that it would have worked OK if I hadn't installed WinXP and Updated it.

    I am sure though that M$ must have screwed my setup and if confirmed that M$ flashed one of my internal hardware's EEPROM's without my consent then Bill Gates has a smack in the mouth coming from me if I ever meet him

    I will try to use the mentioned fixes on the command line, but although I'm a techie I'm a Linux newbie so can't get to into things coz of lack of knowledge.

    I'll post back if I get my NIC to function OK.

    Laterz,

    JamesX.....................

  6. #36
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesX110
    I have an HP/Compaq nx9005 notebook and I have verified that I have the same network card as you and when I use knoppix I have never managed to get the internal NIC working.

    The only way I can get onto the LAN is to plug in a 3Com PCMCIA card instead.

    Before I used Knoppix I re-installed WinXP Pro and patched it up using the Windows Update feature, as a consequence I cannot say that it would have worked OK if I hadn't installed WinXP and Updated it.

    I am sure though that M$ must have screwed my setup and if confirmed that M$ flashed one of my internal hardware's EEPROM's without my consent then Bill Gates has a smack in the mouth coming from me if I ever meet him

    I will try to use the mentioned fixes on the command line, but although I'm a techie I'm a Linux newbie so can't get to into things coz of lack of knowledge.

    I'll post back if I get my NIC to function OK.
    I can assure you that this NIC did work when I first tried it with Knoppix, although it stopped after I did the security updates.

    There is more on this subject in the other thread at
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164

    Try sudo mii-tool -r and then netcardconfig first, this should work. If not, or if you just want to try something else, try booting Knoppix with the expert option and answering all questions n. Please do let us know what progress you make.

  7. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3

    Auto run

    Is there a way to auto run the commands "sudo mii-tool -r" and also reconnect to the DHCP server via netcardcfg?

    Is this only possible on HD install?.. if so.. how?

    thanks

  8. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1
    I've same computer as JamesX110, and same problem, but i'm sure it's not a M$ problem (or -at least- not only): I've booted a new laptop (without initialize the original XP system) with SystemRescueCD, and eth0 don't work until i do a mii-tool -R -r. May be a driver's problem.

    Any body know a module's op to force a hardware reset on natsemi.o?

    Miguel.

  9. #39
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by mf6
    I've same computer as JamesX110, and same problem, but i'm sure it's not a M$ problem (or -at least- not only): I've booted a new laptop (without initialize the original XP system) with SystemRescueCD, and eth0 don't work until i do a mii-tool -R -r. May be a driver's problem.
    I know in my case it wasn't a driver problem. Knoppix worked fine on my new notebook and connected to the other computers on my network and to the Internet fine. After I did the Windows security update I could no longer connect, with any of the same CDRs that I had previously used on the notebook.

    It could still be a Windows issue. Sure, you may not have run the provided Windows software, but do you think that the manufactured didn't run this computer at all before copying a "virgin" copy of Windows and their bundled stuff onto the hard drive and shipping it? If what was run on your machine before it was shipped was newer that what was run on mine, that could well explain why I had to run the Windows Update function before my NIC EEPROM settings were screwed, but yours came pre-screwed.


    Quote Originally Posted by mf6
    Any body know a module's op to force a hardware reset on natsemi.o?

    Miguel.
    That a big maybe for this question. Take a look at the Nat. Semi. diagnostic here: http://www.scyld.com/diag
    You'll have to download the source and compile it yourself, but it compiles fine under Knoppix (once you make a partition writeable). Read all the source. The beginning of the source documents several options, including ones that would let you save and restore the eeprom settings. But so far I haven't been able to find anyone who knows what the original settings are (were) or saved them, so I don't have anything to restore.

    But if you keep reading the sources, in the actual code (not the comments at the beginning that document the switches) you'll find mention of another switch "-E" that is apparently an "emergency_rewrite". As far as I can tell this command will restore the eeprom to some generic settings that should be safe. But I haven't run it myself.

    The owner of scyld.com is a highly recognized Linux contributor, particularly in the area of NIC drivers. If you're going to try something that writes to your notebook NIC, his code is certainly to be trusted more than much other code (particularly Windows!).

    If you do decide to try this "emergency" fix, please let us know the results. And please also use the same program to dump the contents of the working NIC EEPROM (it wouldn't be a bad idea to dump and save what's in your EEPROM before you start, too) and post those contents here. And let us know if you do intend to ever run Windows, and if you do, if Windows changes your NIC EEPROM settings again when you do or when you accept the "security updates".

    Harry

  10. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9
    I've got an HP ZE5185 (2.4G P4, 512M, 20G drive, with the Nat Semi network port),
    and I've got the same problem with the network, it just doesn't configure. Possibly, because
    I'm on a shared 10mb network, maybe the autonegotiation isn't working, but the card
    works on the same network in both XP and Solaris 9/X86 (with a non-sun driver).
    Go figure. The rest of it is pretty cool. I saw a couple of things in german that were unexpected
    but for the most part it's pretty neat. I'll give a shot by putting my wireless router in front
    of the 10mb shared and see if a switched network makes it better. Also, my TDK Global 56k
    modem would hang the 07/23/03 version, but was recognized in the 09/08/03 version.
    It didn't recognize my new DLink DWL-AG650, but I wasn't too surprised about that.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mouse stopped working in kernel 2.4, still works in 2.6
    By Leander in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 02:50 PM
  2. Autoconfig stopped working on HDD install.
    By rbivins in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 07:43 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 11:20 AM
  4. Printing stopped working
    By rec9140 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 06:59 PM
  5. Internet connection stopped working
    By jimk in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 11:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)

$149.99



6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$125.00



VINTAGE DEC DELNI-AA 8 PORT AUI THICKWIRE ETHERNET LAN INTERCONNECT IN COVERS. picture

VINTAGE DEC DELNI-AA 8 PORT AUI THICKWIRE ETHERNET LAN INTERCONNECT IN COVERS.

$95.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC Digital Rainbow Drive Controller PC100 RD51 CNTLR picture

Vintage DEC Digital Rainbow Drive Controller PC100 RD51 CNTLR

$69.99



Vintage DEC Digital M8153 RH70 UNIBUS CONTROL-BCT (B15) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8153 RH70 UNIBUS CONTROL-BCT (B15)

$139.99