-
Senior Member
registered user
No Sound After Modem Card Removed
Boy this is a weird one. I bought an external modem and set it up.
Once I got it running, I figured I should pull the old! ISA modem card out.
I did that and got a slew of nasty error messages saying that that emu10k1 found an unused interrupt. The screen generated this message over and over filling it. The computer booted but there was no sound.
I tried this a second time. The computer never finished completely booting and then locked up. I had to manually fsck the drive to get Knoppix to boot again. I lost my desktop settings and had to redo them.
Once I did that I put the old modem card back in, and booted with no problems.
Any Linux experts out there have an idea what's going on?
For now the old modem card is staying in place.
sakiZ
-
Senior Member
registered user
Addendum
Ok, I just read my post. I should have said the error message was:
unaccounted for interrupt. I was pretty freaked out when I wrote it. I should have copied it down.
Anyway, I tried rmmod on the emu10k1 module. But of course it did not remove because "it is busy" If it had removed I would not have had any sound at that point.
I'm thinking maybe I could swap out the sound blaster card temporarily with another one just long enough to maybe pull the old ISA modem card out. Then switch back.
Well, for the moment, the old ISA modem card will stay put. 
sakiZ
-
Senior Member
registered user
It wasn't the modem. It was the Sound Card!
Well, to follow up with my experience. The sound card, a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card, DIED!
I got an RMA number and sent the card off to be replaced as it still was under warranty. The tech rep tried to talk me out of it. He said for the price of shipping I could get a new card. Hmmm. I work in an office where we ship stuff every day. I knew that was BS. Shipping cost me $3.13. 
But I digress. After the sound card died, the computer would not even boot. As soon as I took it out, I could boot to both Knoppix and Windoze.
Toward the end, the computer acted more and more bizarrely. Get this: Windoze XP saw the card as a network card and tried to configure it as that. Knoppix just refused to load the sound module. That tipped me off. Thank you Linux for giving me the correct information to solve my bizarre computer behavior.
As soon as I pulled the card out, everything was back to normal. I have temporarily replaced the Sound Blaster with the old Vortex 8810 (using the 2.6.9 kernel.) I sounds great. I just can't use it with kernel 2.4, which is what I use most of the time. It's the only one that sees ALL my hardware.
Whew!!! What a bizarre ride.
sakiZ
Similar Threads
-
By djRob in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-25-2005, 03:07 AM
-
By rahoo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 22
Last Post: 07-22-2005, 09:36 AM
-
By AngelFch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
-
By Iost in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 02:47 AM
-
By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server
$525.00

Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor
$225.00

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$354.48

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11
$450.00