Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: etc/lilo.conf: Permission denied

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    8

    etc/lilo.conf: Permission denied

    I'm trying to access a damaged lilo.conf. I started the machine with my Knoppix CD, but when I attempted to access lilo.conf I got a "permission denied" message. The file is owned by root (which I'm not, at the moment) and has permissions -rw-r-----. I have the root password for this machine, but I don't see how to use it to gain access to lilo.conf.

    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

    kj

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    sudo su to become root
    mount -a to mount everything rw, check with mount. You can also remount to writable with for example:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/hdXn /mnt/hdXn

Similar Threads

  1. Crontab permission denied
    By jogeedaklown in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2008, 11:05 PM
  2. PERMISSION DENIED on java!!!
    By xaviers2002 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 10:23 PM
  3. /etc/fstab permission denied
    By Valhalla in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 03:54 AM
  4. Permission denied on knx-hdinstall
    By djoey in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 10:27 PM
  5. permission denied
    By simple in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2002, 05:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72