Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: remaster_0.1-6 script fails with long device-path-names

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    remaster_0.1-6 script fails with long device-path-names

    NOTE: I changed the subject from "remaster_0.1-6 scripts not working with Knoppix 4.0.2 CD"
    to "remaster_0.1-6 script fails with long device-path-names" to better reflect the problem.


    I tried to remaster Knoppix 4.0.2 CD using remaster_0.1-6 scripts from http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/remaster/ but it fails at the beginning.

    (you can skip to the "Real problem?" if you don't want to know exact steps)

    Here are the exact steps:

    ===== BOOT =====
    Boot Knoppix from 4.0.2 CD using
    Code:
    knoppix gmt lang=fi
    ===== INSTALL LVM2 SUPPORT =====
    I'm using LVM2, so I'll first install it from the packages I have on hd.
    Code:
    su
    cd /mnt/hdb1/mydata/LVM2
    modprobe dm-mod
    dpkg -i lvm-common_1.5.17_i386.deb
    dpkg -i lvm2_2.01.04-5_i386.deb
    lndir /lib/lvm-200/ /usr/sbin/
    vgscan
    vgchange -a y
    ===== MOUNT =====
    Then I create and mount the main directory where I'm going to work.
    Code:
    mkdir /data
    mount /dev/LVM/data /data
    cd /data/knx
    ===== START REAL REMASTERING =====
    (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12530)
    (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867)

    get remaster_0.1-6.tar.gz, and unpack
    Code:
    tar xvzf remaster_0.1-6.tar.gz
    mv remaster-0.1 scripts
    Create new remaster
    Code:
    cd scripts
    vim KNOPPIX.build/remaster_config
    mkdir /data/knx/remaster
    ./knoppix-remaster /data/knx/remaster
    Do you want to create a new remaster? - YES
    The script needs a place where it can store... - OK
    Select new remaster directory - (accept default /data/knx/remaster and press OK)

    At this stage I get this error on console (translated from finnish)
    Code:
    mount: /data/knx/scripts not found from /etc/fstab, or /etc/mtab
    And at the same time I get the following message in Error-dialog
    Code:
    Error: Remounting rw,suid,dev of failed.
    Do you want to try again?
    [Yes] [No]
    Real problem?

    The knoppix-remaster script has these lines:

    Code:
    110 remaster_check_mount_options()
    111 {
    112 	REMASTER_MOUNT_DEV=$(df "$REMASTER_CHOICE" | tail -1 | cut -d" " -f1)
    113 	# we have to remount right ...
    114 	mount -o remount,rw,suid,dev "$REMASTER_MOUNT_DEV" 
    -->     || remaster_error_yesno $"Remounting rw,suid,dev of $REMASTER_MOUNT_DEV failed."
    115 }
    And because there was nothing between words "of failed", $REMASTER_MOUNT_DEV is clearly empty here.

    I'm not sure how that script should be rewritten to make it work, and why it is failing now but not before.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    I found out why this is failing, but don't yet know how to fix it.

    knoppix-remaster, line 112:
    Code:
    REMASTER_MOUNT_DEV=$(df "$REMASTER_CHOICE" | tail -1 | cut -d" " -f1)
    That doesn't work if filesystem-path is so long that output from df is split to 2 lines:

    Code:
    knoppix@0[scripts]$ df /data
    Tiedostojärjestelmä  1K-lohkot  Käytetty   Vapaana Käy% Liitospiste
    /UNIONFS/dev/mapper/LVM-data
                          12582524   9457100   3125424  76% /data
    Same problem exists on line 67, and perhaps also in other places where df is used.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    I managed to create a patch which "Works For Me", but I won't make any guarantees about this.

    Patch: http://laire.info/markus/misc/knoppi...er-0.1-6.patch

    It would be better if someone who knows shell-programming better creates better patch, but I'll post this here just in case someone has use for it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: remaster_0.1-6 script fails with long device-path-names

    Quote Originally Posted by malaire
    I tried to remaster Knoppix 4.0.2 CD using remaster_0.1-6 scripts from http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/remaster/ but it fails at the beginning.
    No, no. According to my experience it works! I just did yesterday evening a remastering and it works fine. But I use always a Debian way in my remasterings by installing remaster*.deb package first and then begin to remaster. My instructions (in finnish) for remastering are in file http://tapsa.terae.net/linux/knoppix/remaster.pdf.

    If you wait a couple of days, I place a new remastered finnish version with KDE 3.4.2 to
    ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/Linux/images/SuomiKnoppix/. Finnish "SuomiKnoppix" has remaster scripts included and you can start remastering by typing knoppix-remaster.



    -tapsa-

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot resolve workgroup names
    By colinmgb in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 05:23 PM
  2. how do I find host names on my lan?
    By turbine in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 09:57 AM
  3. 3.8.2 Fails to boot from SCSI device -- Now uses GRUB?
    By BillS in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 06:54 PM
  4. Domain Names
    By Kowood in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 11:20 AM
  5. Howto: Script to put the device shortcuts on the desktop
    By fabriloup in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 10:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95



MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99