Hi Everyone
I'm looking to remaster knoppix to act as a drop in replacement when a linux workstation' hard drive breaks in my laboratory. Ultimately I'd like the final product to resemble the missing workstation in as much that;
1.When it boots a display manager comes up, rather than an automatic log in
2.Passwords are correctly picked up from a NIS server
3.Hostnames are correctly resolved (ie the workstation is called by the name set by the server, not knoppix)
4.Automatic mount points are picked up from the central server, allowing programs installed there to be run on the machine and allowing access to users home directories
So far I can get the passwords from the server (as demonstrated by ypcat passwd) and I can access automatic mount points correctly. However I can't use the passwords (through su) as if the hostname is knoppix I get a gethostbyname error, and if it is set correctly I get a "no shell" error. Any help, or directions to webpages or other projects where this has been done would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Ben

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99
Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book
$37.49
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US
$41.30