Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Figuring out which ethernet driver I have loaded

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2

    Figuring out which ethernet driver I have loaded

    Hi all,

    It seems I have a very common problem, I have the Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21140 [FasterNet] (rev 22) ethernet card and in order to install I have to nodhcp at the boot screen which leaves me with no network connection.

    So, from reading the boards, the way to solve this is to

    #rmmod <current drver>
    #modprobe <new driver>

    Is there any way to know what driver the system has loaded already, and is does anyone know where I can get list of possible drivers to to try si I can cycle through until I find one that works.

    Thanks!

    Matt

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Figuring out which ethernet driver I have loaded

    Quote Originally Posted by carmat06
    Is there any way to know what driver the system has loaded already
    Yes. lsmod will list the modules that are currently loaded.

    Quote Originally Posted by carmat06
    does anyone know where I can get list of possible drivers to to try si I can cycle through until I find one that works
    All the modules are somewhere in /lib/modules/2.*/kernel/ . You can get a complete list with this command:
    Code:
    find /lib/modules/2.*/kernel/ -type f -name '*.ko' | less -iX
    Under Knoppix 3.8.2, I was just fiddling around in the /lib/modules/2.6.11/ and noticed a number of modules.* files. The one that caught my eye was modules.pcimap. I imagine that with modules.pcimap plus the information from an lspci command and you might be able to figure out what module should load for a device. You may also discover which module is the incorrect module. This bit of code might be helpful:
    Code:
    paste <(lspci -vmn) <(lspci -vm | cut -f2)
    BTW, another place to look is /usr/share/misc/pci.ids.

    Good luck and if you figure how the pieces fit together, please let the rest of us know how.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 03:20 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 01:30 AM
  3. RealTek 8139 ethernet driver error / Knoppix Linux 3.3
    By brycen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 08:39 AM
  4. Adding a new ethernet driver
    By pankepasa in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 02:58 AM
  5. Gigabit ethernet driver problem (Intel Pro/1000)
    By jstaker in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2003, 05:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage IBM Model M Keyboard 1391401 Buckling Spring PS/2 Keyboard 1988 picture

Vintage IBM Model M Keyboard 1391401 Buckling Spring PS/2 Keyboard 1988

$200.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage IDE Removable Hard Drive Mobile Rack 5.25 Bay 50-Pin Tray + Maxtor 40GB picture

Vintage IDE Removable Hard Drive Mobile Rack 5.25 Bay 50-Pin Tray + Maxtor 40GB

$49.99



Vintage Apple Pro Keyboard USB Mac M7803 **Used in box picture

Vintage Apple Pro Keyboard USB Mac M7803 **Used in box

$75.00



Vintage Toshiba T3400CT Mini Laptop 486SX-33, 4MB **NO POST, Bad Screen, AS-IS picture

Vintage Toshiba T3400CT Mini Laptop 486SX-33, 4MB **NO POST, Bad Screen, AS-IS

$75.00



Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS picture

Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS

$59.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37