Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7

    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on

    The rest of the message is
    on unknown-block(3,1)

    I get the message when I install 4.0.0 or 4.0.2 to my HDD (/dev/hda1) the only system on the laptop.
    It of course won't boot. I do not get this message with an older version like 3.9.
    My machine is a Dell C610 laptop with a 20gb disk and 256mb of memory with a DVD reader.
    I saw the other topic entry and it seems that there was no answer to the dilema.

    Any ideas?!

    I have the 4.0.0 version running and booting fine on a desktop machine, so I'm stumped!

    Thanks all!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7

    UPDATE!

    Tried the 4.0.2 CD and it does the same ????? thing!
    I even tried putting the grub boot in the partition vs the MBR.
    However, 3.9 CD Hard Drive Install works on the same machine on the same disk.

    Now I'm even more stumped!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4

    Probably due to a bug in knoppix-installer

    Hi, phillib

    I experienced the same problem when I installed KNOPPIX V4.0.2 (CD) to my HDD
    with the script "knoppix-installer". I chose "KNOPPIX CD Style".

    Soon, I found a problem in /boot/grub/menu.lst. Please, boot yourPC fromCD again,
    and look into this file. You will find lines just like these;

    title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11 Default
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro ##amdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce quiet vga=791
    initrd /boot/initrd.img
    savedefault
    boot

    You can edit the 2nd line as follows (similar to the former KNOPPIX versions) ;
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce quiet vga=791

    Save your changing and reboot your PC. That all.
    Good luck ("Viel Glueck" in German)

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    I have the same problem, but I can not write to the file because it is mounted read only, and I can't change the fstab, how do I mount the disk as read write ?
    My menu.lst shows ## isk..... not ##amdisk....... I think I have a bad download or bad burn.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Same problem here on the laptop. You can also edit the boot options in Grub. And after the first boot edit the menu.lst.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    But I can not write to the file.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    NYS
    Posts
    3
    Thanks djugem, that work for me.

    lotech, try :

    sudo mount -o dev,rw /mnt/hda2
    or
    sudo mount -o remount,dev,rw /mnt/hda2

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6
    OK You are the man !!

    Boot your PC and wait until you get the Grub Menu

    Then Press E on the 1st Entry
    Then use arrow down to select the faulty Entry
    Then press E again
    Use arrow to the left until you get to the faulty entry (### ) and replace it with ramd

    Press ESC

    Press B to boot and be happy !!

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    Yes PT-1 I just find out that, and after a successful boot up, we must edit the file so that it will boot up normally next time, but this remain mystery that we have to do this after 1st install, this has to be fixed on next release.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6
    I am just struggeling after succesfully booting the setting is back as described above.

    After making the first change

    Start a Terminal session

    type su

    type passwd

    choose a new password

    I choose root

    then click on the K
    Choose System
    More Applications
    File Manager Super User Mode
    Use your new password
    Change the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and save

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount block (1,3)
    By Chadsfunkin5 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 02:59 AM
  2. Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount block (3,2)
    By Volgin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 05:37 AM
  3. Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 21:02
    By helkyd in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 02:19 PM
  4. Kernel panic: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 03:02
    By biohazard in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 02:55 AM
  5. kernel panic:VFS:unable to mount root fs on 08:03
    By ventallo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30