See my post here for an already compiled kernel with low-latency ( like preeemt) and LPP and crypto.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66
Hey all:
Just started playing with Knoppix. After installing on my HD, I started checking out the kernel. Looks like a 'vanilla' kernel with XFS patch, and a small Knoppix patch.
Has anyone recompiled it with the preempt patch? I've compile kernels before, but I'm a little stumped....my /usr/src/linux doesn't actually contain the sources, I'm guessing to save space. I looked at the included .config file, and it seems that it's building almost every module available!
So can I just download the latest from kernels.org, apply my patches, and compile? I wasn't really sure how to handle initrd.gz, either.
-Charlie
See my post here for an already compiled kernel with low-latency ( like preeemt) and LPP and crypto.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66
I had a fun time hacking away with Klaus' miniroot and compiling my own custom kernel. I'll write up a little knoppix-custom-kernel-howto if enough people are interested.
I have dist-upgraded knoppix 3.1 (12/12/2002) to debian unstable for the snappy gcc 3.2.2, and hacked up my own kernel based on the -ck patch compilation for 2.4.20. I also have modified the Knoppix CD to boot with isolinux, removing the need for floppy or hard drive emulation, and the need for mounting a floppy image with the loop device, then a second floppy image under a second loop device to get to the initrd environment for hacking![]()
Yes that would be very helpful, there are people who need custom kernels, and a howto would be great! I have done it but it was a bit of hit and miss. See my post about knet kernel ( with preempt/lpp/crypto )Originally Posted by drfreak
Damn, just finished the preface and intro when I stupidly closed my browser window. Now to go type this up in an editor as I should have done to begin with!Originally Posted by eadz
I'll post my draft shortly..
Wow done already :Originally Posted by drfreak
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...tomKernelHowto
You are a good writer!! Thanks a lot! When I have a bit more time i'll look at it more closely to see if I can add anything useful.
Thank you. I'm glad I could give something back to this site. I use it a lot when I am poking around in Knoppix. Everyone here seems very motivated and friendly, so I'm glad if this helps them.Originally Posted by eadz
Does the Knoppix 5.1.0-5.1.1 kernel have realtime-preemption? I typed 'uname -a' in Terminal and get the following output:
'Linux BARDOT 2.6.19 #7 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 17 22:01:07 CET 2006 i686 GNU/Linux'
Does the PREEMPT portion mean it has it? This thread is pretty old, so i hope Knoppix does have realtime-preemption by now.....
I haver compiled 2.6.21 kernel with -rt and aufs patch http://linux.ilmainen.net/suomiknopp...2.6.21.5-rt18/. There's also a working cloop module in that site, so you can remaster Knoppix with realtime preemption patch by using my kernel. There has been some troubles to compile cloop with 2.6.22 and 2.6.23 kernels and that's why my latest kernel is 2.6.21. Also compiling aufs don't work at this time with 2.6.23 kernel (no problem with 2.6.22).Originally Posted by Anonymous
But if installing kernel to hard disk, you don't need cloop and aufs. So you can download kernel source from kernel.org, patch it with -rt patch http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/, compile it and install it to your Debian based system.
-tapsa-
Yes, i want to install realtime preemption to my Knoppix Debian-based HD installation. How would i install the preempt patched kernel and have the option of choosing BOTH the original kernel and preemptive one at the grub boot loader? Although, as i posted above, i might already have a realtime preempt kernel, since 'uname -a' says PREEMPT. How can i confirm if the kernel has realtime preemption applied to it?Originally Posted by tr

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.66