-
Why can I see it an you cant?
I have my server and mysql running fine my local network can see the forums games and website I have on my server but when I gibe my ip address to my friend he can not see anything?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Why can I see it an you cant?

Originally Posted by
morbidpalooza
I have my server and mysql running fine my local network can see the forums games and website I have on my server but when I gibe my ip address to my friend he can not see anything?
What ip address do you gibe to your friend? If you have a local network then I certainly hope and expect that you have a router in place connecting to your DSL or cable modem. That router provides a set of local IP addresses to your local network (almost always in the range of 192.168.xxx.xxx) that can not be routed over the Internet. For that matter I and hundreds of thousands of others are using these same addresses on our networks too, so there would be no way that your friend could find you by a 192.168.xxx.xxx address.
Your router gets an address that can be reached across the Internet. You can find it by looking at your router setup, or you can use one of several sites like http://checkip.dyndns.org/ to help determine what IP address the rest of the world sees for you. Your friend should be able to reach you by that address. However, once a packet reaches the router from the outside world, it has to know what local address to send it to. It does this automatically when you web browse or innitiate other actions, because it knows what systems sent out requests and includes a port number in the request to respond to. It knows which ports it assigned to each computer, thus many computers can browser the Internet (even browse the same wabsite) and the router knows which incoming packest go to which system by the port number on the incoming packet. But since the request from your friend originated from outside, the router may not know what to do with those packets unless you have configured it properly.
You can go into your router setup and assign different incoming ports to different systems. These systems should be running servers for the appication that uses that port. For example, I have an FTP server that I run on one of my systems. That system has a local IP address of 192.168.1.102. If I don't set up the router, any FTP request that comes in on my public address would not be properly router and would just be dropped, so the FTP server would be a private local server. But if I tell the router to forward port 21 (the FTP port) to 192.168.1.102, the I can allow others to access my FTP server from the Internet (it's rather wise to be sure that the FTP server is secured by passwords before doing this, and to pick FTP software that doesn't have security problems, because if you do not you can be assured that hackers will find that system within the hour, but that's a different issue).
Another thing that you might also want to do is look into one of the free services like dyndns.org. They will give you a free URL that can be linked to your IP address, so your firends can access you by a URL rather than an IP address. This is particularly handy if your ISP doesn't provide you a static IP address but changes yours from time to time. You can update the URL at the service provider so it will always point to your current IP address. Some routers will do this for you automatically. In other cases you have to do the update manually or run a small program on one of your computers to do the update when needed.
-
Does it matter if I am on dial up?
and I am networked to a windows box that is connected to the internet on dialup
-
Also when I got my ip address from that link you posted and I put it in my address bar on my browser it said connection refused!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
morbidpalooza
Does it matter if I am on dial up?
and I am networked to a windows box that is connected to the internet on dialup
Yea, it matters a lot. I don't expect Windows "connection sharing" to let this work for you at all.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
morbidpalooza
Also when I got my ip address from that link you posted and I put it in my address bar on my browser it said connection refused!
Yea, I can believe that. As far as your local network is concerned, that's not an address that you can reach. Some routers would allow what's called "loopback" and let you originate a connection to the Internet IP address of the router, then loop it back to the LAN again. But many routers will not do that. And I would find it extremely unlikely that Windows connection sharing would do it. Plus I doubt that you have any way under connection sharing to configure the windows box that is on the modem to forward packets to other systems. It would not work if you used connection sharing on a high speed connection either; this really needs both a high speed connection and a router to be useful.
-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
morbidpalooza
Also when I got my ip address from that link you posted and I put it in my address bar on my browser it said connection refused!
Yea, I can believe that. As far as your local network is concerned, that's not an address that you can reach. Some routers would allow what's called "loopback" and let you originate a connection to the Internet IP address of the router, then loop it back to the LAN again. But many routers will not do that. And I would find it extremely unlikely that Windows connection sharing would do it. Plus I doubt that you have any way under connection sharing to configure the windows box that is on the modem to forward packets to other systems. It would not work if you used connection sharing on a high speed connection either; this really needs both a high speed connection and a router to be useful.
Thank's Harry you have been Alot of help!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99