Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: installing to USB

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4

    installing to USB

    I want to find a version of linux that can be installed to a USB drive and that I will be able to use apt-get on once im done. I think catux would do what I want but I'm having problems getting it to start. Everytime I try to run it stops boot int at "Entering Catux at /dev/sda" usually when i boot to another knoppix my USB key is /dev/sdc I dont know if that is the problem or not, since I am new to linux. If anyone can help with catux or knows of another linux distro that can do what i want it would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Check out CPX.mini -- it's not perfect, and has a few bugs, but it's pretty good. It's got UnionFS enabled by default, so you can use apt-get.

    Can't help with Catux because their web pages are mostly in Catalan (?).

    By the way: Your system may see your USB key on /dev/sdc when you install Catux (one assumes it's installed from a live CD). But Catux wants to find your USB key on /dev/sda when you boot from it. (If you have some other USB device taking "sda" you may have to disable it. For example, I have an Epson printer with a bunch of card readers and an external USB port that always grabs "sda" if it's on when the computer boots, so I have to turn it off.)

    Other considerations include: Does your USB key use USB-ZIP or USB-HDD emulation? Apparently there's a difference in how the geometry is set. And, if it uses GRUB, look to make sure /boot/grub/menu.lst references "sda" and not "sdc".

Similar Threads

  1. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99



YEALINK  W60B DECT VoIP BASE STATION VOIP SIP FOR UP TO 8 HANDSETS + OEM ADPTR picture

YEALINK W60B DECT VoIP BASE STATION VOIP SIP FOR UP TO 8 HANDSETS + OEM ADPTR

$50.00