Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: burned dvds, filenames are weird in windows

  1. #1

    burned dvds, filenames are weird in windows

    I burned a few backup dvds which can be read fine in knoppix but not in windows. The filenames are changed, I guess most of you know this.

    I mainly use windows, so I was wondering if there was a way to read those dvds with proper filenames in windows.

    For example, I have this program called MacDrive which allows you to read mac formatted drives (like an iPod) in windows; I was wondering if there was any program like this.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Try using joliet and disable rockridge.

  3. #3
    You mean that when I burn dvds with knoppix I should choose to burn with joliet? Joliet is the long filename system right?

    How come Knoppix can read the dvds fine and with long filenames but not windows?

    Isn't there a program I can use to read the dvds differently?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Joliet is probably needed since iirc microsoft created that extension. Windows should have rockridge support, but surprisingly microsofts own works better.
    You could try using both though http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdo...Index/TD102020

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2006, 06:05 PM
  2. Q: k3b CD Burning & Long Filenames?
    By diogenes in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 12:52 PM
  3. gqview --> filenames with german umlauts
    By wicking in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 07:35 PM
  4. Japanese Filenames
    By oiic in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 11:11 PM
  5. I don't believe it burned onto the cd right but
    By bootme54 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 11:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New picture

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New

$185.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$299.00



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$199.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max UXG-Max picture

Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max UXG-Max

$229.00



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99