Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: trouble with knoppix on thumb drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3

    trouble with knoppix on thumb drive

    I'm trying to get knoppix on my thumb drive. I saw are earlier post where someone linked this this site wich had instructions. (www.tuxmachines.org/node/14738). Well I followed the instructions exactly like they said, but I still wasn't able to boot knoppix from my thumb drive. I even did it twice. Has anyone found these instructions sucessful. Is there anything I need to change with them.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    50
    I've noticed on many of my thumb drives that there was no default MBR on them to start so even though you might set everything up the right way and run pxelinux correctly, it still wouldn't boot. Under Knoppix, use the fixmbr utility to put the default dos boot code on the thumb drive. So if your thumb drive is /dev/sda1 you'd type:

    Code:
    sudo fixmbr /dev/sda1
    Or on Windows you'd type:

    Code:
    fdisk /mbr

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3
    I'm sorry greenfly but your suggestion did not work. First, with windows XP fdisk /fixmbr doesn't work. If you want to fix your master boot record you have to use the recovery console. Second your suggestion of "sudo fixmbr /dev/sda1" didn't work either, it told me fixmbr wasn't a valid command. I just tried to get knoppix on my thumb drive for a second time and I got the same error when I tried to boot. Has anyone gotten knoppix on a thumb drive to boot? Please help.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Brudus
    I'm sorry greenfly but your suggestion did not work. First, with windows XP fdisk /fixmbr doesn't work. If you want to fix your master boot record you have to use the recovery console. Second your suggestion of "sudo fixmbr /dev/sda1" didn't work either, it told me fixmbr wasn't a valid command. I just tried to get knoppix on my thumb drive for a second time and I got the same error when I tried to boot. Has anyone gotten knoppix on a thumb drive to boot? Please help.
    Which version of Knoppix are you using? 5.1.1 should have the fixmbr utility and as far as I know, every version of Knoppix at least from 3.4 has had the fixmbr tool.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 4.0.2 with thumb drive on IBM T42
    By twr50 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2005, 05:06 AM
  2. Install Knoppix on USB thumb drive
    By wildscribe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 01:52 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 10:52 AM
  4. Can I repair my USB thumb drive with Knoppix?
    By MaldiGola in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 03:51 PM
  5. booting knoppix 3.6 from usb thumb drive
    By jbreiden in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 01:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD picture

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD

$149.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$71.49



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



MAXSUN MS-iCraft B860M CROSS PRO DDR5 Intel LGA1851 socket picture

MAXSUN MS-iCraft B860M CROSS PRO DDR5 Intel LGA1851 socket

$399.99



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99