-
Installation help please!!
I just got a new Dell 9100 Desktop and was eager to try installing Knoppix. I have been using the CD on my old laptop but was not willing to risk losing my data (even with a backup). I had read all of the FAQs and forums prior to starting because I am new to Linux. The hard drive layout that came with the computer included SDA1 (fat16 configuration), SDA2 (ntsf Windows), SDA3 (Dell restore in fat32). I used qtparted to resize the ntsf partition into an ext3 partition. This worked without any problems. I then used the knoppix-installer from the root console. I selected to install on the ext3 partition (SDA4) and to put the bootloader into the MBR. The installation proceeded without any errors (to my knowlege). I rebooted without the Knoppix CD in, and my computer booted Windows normally. I was not given any choice about OS selection. I then re-installed and put the bootloader in the root partition, but was not able to get lilo or grub to work. I also tried using bootpart from Windows which did give me the selection of OS at bootup, but when I selected Linux it said that I needed to enter a system disk.
I would greatly appreciate any help. I know that Knoppix isn't designed for HD install, but I have tried other live CD's (SUSE, Ubuntu, Kanotix) and they don't work on my new computer (I'm guessing due to newer hardware). Thanks!
Similar Threads
-
By Jan_L in forum German Forum
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-03-2005, 03:16 PM
-
By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
-
By publiusi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-24-2003, 03:59 PM
-
By OverIP in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-22-2003, 10:15 PM
-
By appel in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-21-2002, 11:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3
$59.99

Dell PERC H755 8GB NV 12Gb/s Pci-e RAID controller card 29XMF Full Height
$899.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88

LSI Oracle 9361-16i 16-Port 12Gb SAS PCIe RAID Controller 7332895
$77.97

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00

Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J
$70.00