-
nForce4/Athlon X2 - Network craps out after a few minutes
System info:
ABIT AN8 Ultra (NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra chipset) with built-in gigabit Ethernet (uses forcedeth driver)
Athlon X2 3800+ Dual-core CPU
2GB RAM (2 x 1GB PC3200)
I've tried Knoppix 3.9 and 4.0.2CD with the same results. Everything works fine for a few minutes, but then (usually during heavy network activity; in my case, attempting to check out a large CVS repository), the network dies and I am unable to connect to any host. Trying ifdown/ifup on eth0 doesn't fix it (I get an uninformative "failed" error message when I try). In fact, rebooting the system doesn't fix it. I actually have to turn it off at the power supply and then turn it back on before the network will work again.
I've run for days at a time under Fedora Core 4, so I don't think it's an incompatibility with Linux or the forcedeth driver. Also, if I run Knoppix in single-user mode, the network seems to work indefinitely (I was able to get my CVS repo that way after it failed four times under the GUI).
Any ideas how to track down what's killing my network?
Similar Threads
-
By adhawkins in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-23-2006, 09:47 PM
-
By nyke in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-12-2005, 05:32 PM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-25-2004, 04:21 PM
-
By cul971 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-10-2003, 01:02 PM
-
By Kimberley in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$59.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot
$280.00

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99