Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: get-apt problems

  1. #1

    get-apt problems

    I recently did an HD installation of KNOPPIX, I did as the swf video said on this site to do. Once I got to the desktop after installing, I opened a root terminal, and typed in

    "get-apt update"

    It gives me a long list of all thse updates,

    E: Package could not be open or parsed
    E: package list could not be parsed or read
    E: error occured while processing libafterstep()
    E: Problem with merge list <long path name>

    How do I go about fixing the problem, I installed knoppix 3.7 on a pentium 4 computer. Thanks for your time.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Apt-get update

    Try apt-get update.

    You had it backwards.

    sakiZ

  3. #3
    heh, I typed it wrong here, yes I was trying apt-get in the root window. And that error is what I was getting.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    are you still getting this error? sometimes apt will not work then will work next try.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37

    video?!?!?

    I Cant find it................can someone post a link?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: video?!?!? - Don't hijack threads

    Quote Originally Posted by pboodi
    I Cant find it................can someone post a link?
    From "ON POSTING: FORUMS and SUBJECT LINES"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Other Thoughts on using the forums to post your topic in the right place:

    ***** Do not change the subject and post a completely different question inside of an existing thread. Start a new thread for a new topic.
    The word for it is "piggy-backing" or "hijacking" a thread, in some cases, when the topic is still maintained, only someone else wants more information, then this isnt the same, but, when the topic starts out as "I cant boot the Knoppix CD", and half-way through the thread, someone posts an issue on "How do I setup a network card", that would not only be hijacking, but, may not get the person an answer on there issue...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    ***** Also, once you pick a forum, look over the existing posts (or use the Knoppix website search feature on the top of each forum page) to see if others haven't posted about the same problem that you are posting about. There is certainly no good reason why many people post the same questions every day. It is not reasonable to say that "I can't be bothered to look at the previous posts" and expect others to spend their time in giving you the same answers that you could have found yourself if you had taken a few minutes to look.
    Chances are, in most cases, someone else has already had the same issue, and could have also got it resolved... This isnt something a "moderator" should have to point out, a poster should see this also: Searching for an issue that has already been resolved, is a lot faster, and will get you an answer quicker, than starting a completely new post, and waiting for a response... ALSO... from a response persons "point-of-view", I dont want to have to go to replying with a "link" to a topic, that gave them there answer, when they could have done the same thing themselves... I prefer the "personal" touch, but, if topics get repeating too much, that may get to be the responses you will get... i.e. I dont want to be cold, and have to post replies like... RTFM
    As for your inquiry on the video, see http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    37
    Sorry......(dont ask unrelated questions in a thread) .........I think I got it...

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  2. ideq 200s problems and more problems
    By lesshaste in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72