Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Firefox doesn't autorun

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3

    Firefox doesn't autorun

    I have already searched in these forums for my problem(s), but the solutions, I found, don't work.
    My situation is this:
    I have a Knoppix 3.9 HD install. Making an intensive use of "apt --purge remove" I have now a "small Knoppix".
    I have modified /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig substituting DESKTOP="kde" with DESKTOP="fluxbox" in order to unistall kde and use Fluxbox as window manager.
    I would like to start Firefox when XFree starts: I copied /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc in /home/knoppix/.xinitrc and added the line "firefox". Rebooting XFree nothing happens. Any suggestion?
    I also need to start a non-X program at system boot (a web server): how can I do?
    At the end I need to start a non-X program under a "rxvt session" (so I can see what happens on the screen) at system boot: how can I do?
    I'm a "almost-newbie" in Linux.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    Hi sassi67,

    do you want to run an app when XFree starts or when Fluxbox starts? If it's the second instance maybe you need to create an apps file in ~/.fluxbox/ directory and put in it the app you want to run, following the suggest as in this link http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docs/...ev.php#startup

    bye, max

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Works!
    I have created the file ~/.fluxbox/apps and added these lines:

    [startup] {firefox}
    [startup] {rxvt ...}

    restart Fluxbox and voilą...

    For the non-X apps I think I'll read something about daemons management under Knoppix, do I?
    Thank you, maxIT


  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by sassi67
    For the non-X apps I think I'll read something about daemons management under Knoppix, do I?...
    or maybe something about in wich directories linux/debian look for start up scripts, maybe /etc/init.d or so...

    regards, max

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    I discover that I can put my non-X apps in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig: they start.

Similar Threads

  1. booting into runlevel 1 want a script to autorun
    By nayrhyno in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 10:10 PM
  2. Remove Konqueror Autorun?
    By RedBrain in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 04:00 PM
  3. Autorun Knoppix CD 4.0.2
    By blue_nemesis in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 08:50 PM
  4. autorun
    By kooladi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 05:22 PM
  5. Application autorun
    By sparks40 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2003, 01:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98