Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How To run wpc54g on Knoppix live CD??

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6

    How To run wpc54g on Knoppix live CD??

    First I must say that I am a linux newbie. Can anyone explained to me step by step or lead me to a webpage that can explain step by step what I need to do to be able to run my wireless card Linksys wpc54g v1 while using Knoppix live cd? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thomas

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    What I am about to describe may very well be outside of your experience level. If it is then I apologize. This method can be very technical but it works.

    I checked http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/sh...cat=144&page=1 and discovered that the wpc54g uses a chipset from Broadcom. And Broadcom does not support Linux at all so they give out no documentation on any of their chipsets/products and this results in no Linux drivers for Broadcom wireless devices. This means that we must use a driver wrapper called ndiswrapper. It is a translator driver that makes a network card driver for MS Windows work on Linux.

    Normally the progression of how drivers work looks like:
    Linux kernel -> Linux network driver -> network card

    With Ndiswrapper, it looks like:
    Linux kernel -> ndiswrapper -> Windows network driver -> network card

    So now you see that it requires not 1 but 2 pieces, the ndiswrapper & the windows driver. Many recent Linux distros ship with ndiswrapper. I know that Suse 9.x and Whax include ndiswrapper while Knoppix 3.8.x and up should include ndiswrapper. You can follow the generic ndsiwrapper installation instructions at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...p/Installation and you can find Network card info listed alphabetically by manufacturer at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...index.php/List

    If you want to see what it looks like from start to finish to get it working, then use a Netgear WG311 v2 & I documented it all the steps here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=90075#90075

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6

    still having trouble

    Thank You for the quick reply You gave very good instructions but I ran into a problem and I am not sure what it is. First let me tell you what I did. I copied the files from the linksys directory on my harddrive to a usb thumb drive. and booted to knoppix v3.9. I opened the root shell and went to the directory (cd /mnt/uba1) I had copied the files to and typed the following:

    ndiswrapper -i lsbcmnds.inf
    the reply was:
    installing lsbcmnds
    cp: cannot start 'lsbcmnds.inf':no such file or directory

    and just for kicks I typed:
    ndiswrapper -l
    the reply was:
    lsbcmnds invalid driver!

    but I know the files were there? I used the wpc54g v1.3.1 driver as the ndiswrapper link you sent me to recommended. Any ideas what is happening here?
    Thanks and Best Regards
    Thomas

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6

    almost there

    ok I ended up copying the old inf and sys files from the cd that came with the linksys card. and I got alot further. I got all the way to the last command (iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed) The router I was connecting to did not use wep so I skipped the rest. I dont know if there are any other commands. I found the kwifimanager and it said I was connected but it did not assign an ip address. And I brought up the browser to check and nothing. I am almost there just confused about where I go from here? I will mess with it more in the afternoon. So what do I do next. Also can these commands be put into a batch file so I can just click a file and have all this done with one click? Thanks again for all the help
    Thomas

    oh almost forgot I also saved everything I did so you can look over it. There were alot of errors at one point. In the info I read it said dont mind the kernel errors not sure if thats what they were but here it is:

    root@1[~]# cd /mnt/uba1/wpc54gold

    root@1[wpc54gold]# ndiswrapper -i lsbcmnds.inf

    Installing lsbcmnds

    root@1[wpc54gold]# ndiswrapper -l

    Installed ndis drivers:

    lsbcmnds driver present, hardware present

    root@1[wpc54gold]# ndiswrapper -m

    Adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper

    root@1[wpc54gold]# modprobe ndiswrapper

    root@1[wpc54gold]# dmesg | tail -20

    ISOFS: unable to read i-node block

    hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

    hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }

    ide: failed opcode was: unknown

    end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 376872

    Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 94218

    cloop: Read error at pos 189964976 in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, 17969 bytes lost.

    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 8449 65536/0/17969/0 189964976-189982945

    Buffer I/O error on device cloop0, logical block 270378

    cloop: Read error at pos 189964976 in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, 17969 bytes lost.

    cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 8449 65536/0/17969/0 189964976-189982945

    Buffer I/O error on device cloop0, logical block 270378

    ndiswrapper version 1.1rc3 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=yes)

    ndiswrapper: driver lsbcmnds (The Linksys Group, Inc.,07/17/2003, 3.30.15.0) loaded

    PCI: Enabling device 0000:09:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)

    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:09:00.0[A] -> Link [LNKD] -> GSI 10 (level, low) -> IRQ 10

    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:09:00.0 to 64

    ndiswrapper: using irq 10

    wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:0c:41:cf:a1:ca using driver lsbcmnds, configuration file 14E4:4320:1737:4320.5.conf

    wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP, WPA with TKIP, WPA with AES/CCMP

    root@1[wpc54gold]# iwconfig

    lo no wireless extensions.


    eth0 no wireless extensions.


    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"linksys"

    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:13:10:36:83:CE

    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm

    RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B

    Encryption keyff

    Power Managementff

    Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-76 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0

    Tx excessive retries:2 Invalid misc:195 Missed beacon:0


    root@1[wpc54gold]# iwlist wlan0 scan

    wlan0 Scan completed :

    Cell 01 - Address: 00:13:10:36:83:CE

    ESSID:"linksys"

    Protocol:IEEE 802.11b

    Mode:Managed

    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)

    Quality:0/100 Signal level:-73 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

    Encryption keyff

    Bit Rate:1 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:2 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:11 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:18 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:24 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:36 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:6 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:9 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:12 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:48 Mb/s

    Extra:bcn_int=100

    Extra:atim=0

    Cell 02 - Address: 00:0C:41:E3:50:3C

    ESSID:"Me"

    Protocol:IEEE 802.11b

    Mode:Managed

    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)

    Quality:0/100 Signal level:-54 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

    Encryption keyn

    Bit Rate:1 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:2 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:11 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:18 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:24 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:36 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:6 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:9 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:12 Mb/s

    Bit Rate:48 Mb/s

    Extra:bcn_int=100

    Extra:atim=0

    Extra:wpa_ie=dd160050f20101000050f20201000050f2020 1000050f202


    root@1[wpc54gold]# iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed

    root@1[wpc54gold]#

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6

    screencapture

    and here is a screen capture of kwifimanager that I just took. I don't know where to go from here anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks and Best Regards
    Thomas


  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6
    Is there some kind of command I need to run to obtain an IP address? The router uses DHCP I think. I appears as if I am connecting but not getting assigned an IP address. Any replies would be greatly appreciated

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6

    Still Stuck

    I have been fighting this thing trying to find a fix for almost 2 weeks and I still haven't found it. I really want this to work and I am determined to make it work. Anyways if anyone sees this and thinks they can help I would greatly appreciate their input.
    Thank You and Best Regards
    Thomas

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1
    Have you configured the wlan0 interface? What will you see if you enter the command ifconfig ?

    Knoppix provides a tool to configure it: netcardconfig

Similar Threads

  1. Linksys WPC54G ver.4
    By thatsflash in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
  2. WPC54G Cant Get it Working
    By KnightWhoSaysNi in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 08:30 PM
  3. Setting up a WPC54G ver2 on knoppix 4.0 --Help
    By jOVENASO in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 06:29 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-29-2005, 04:53 AM
  5. Linksys WPC54G (ver 2)
    By warrenite in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 05:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0

WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0" 128GB Black SM-X210

$139.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$119.99



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95



LOT OF 4  Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ picture

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ

$469.95