Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I change window managers on boot up?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16

    How do I change window managers on boot up?

    Specifically, I would like to give ratpoison a try. Is there something I could type in at boot to load it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

    desktop=fluxbox|icewm|kde|larswm|twm|wmaker|xfce
    Use specified WM instead of KDE

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16

    Success!

    Thank you for your prompt response. Many of the sites that list window managers along with knoppix rattle off the biggies - fluxbox, ice, and blackbox but usually don't include ratpoison. In my ignorance, I only recently learned that ratpoison was even part of the package.

    1. In short, ratpoison may not be everyone's cup of tea. It is a window manager designed to be used without a mouse (hence the name). It is tough for me to get used to it, but I do recommend everyone give it a try.

    2. In the same vein, I didn't know enlightenment 16 was also part of the package - a very sleek presentation indeed. (though, I believe e 17 is out in beta. I have tried the elive! cd which includes both 16 and 17 and am impressed by its elegance. Everyone who walks by my computer wants to know what it is.)

    3. And using your suggestion, tried desktop=fluxbox. Love it. Fluxbox will be my default until I get more practice with enlightenment.

Similar Threads

  1. Desktop Window Managers
    By Ikki in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 04:44 AM
  2. Window managers and features
    By lotech in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 04:31 AM
  3. What's the difference in window managers
    By sunburnt in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 05:12 AM
  4. no window managers ...? more questions too
    By DimGR in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 05:41 PM
  5. How do I change window managers
    By winowman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 12:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS picture

Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Evergreen 586 - Processor upgrade 486 to 586 picture

Evergreen 586 - Processor upgrade 486 to 586

$149.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99