What version of Knoppix are you using to remaster?Originally Posted by nibl
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
After a remaster kdm has configured itself to run.
How do you change it back to the default so that startx runs insteasd of kdm?
Thanks,
nibl
What version of Knoppix are you using to remaster?Originally Posted by nibl
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
It's 3.7, since we need kernel 2.4.x
Any ideas?
Thanks,
nibl
Not any good ones. I've remastered using 3.8.2 and I've never had an issue. Unfortunatley for your needs 3.8.2 uses the 2.6 kernel. Have you tried a "trivial remaster" using 3.7? Here are my notes for doing a trivial remaster using 3.8.2. By "trivial" I don't mean the process is trivial, but rather the result is trivial. The steps are a nice positive control to make a working version of Knoppix.Originally Posted by nibl
In your particular case, why did you remaster? That is, what's different between your remaster and the original? I'd start by looking at the steps you did to make the remastered version.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
What I need to do is update KDE to 3.4 in order to solve a dependency of an internationalization package (KDE Lithuanian).
Can you update KDE without doing a dist-upgrade?
I'll look at your trivial remaster, looks interesting in any case. My chrooted remaster works fine, and other updates work okay. It has fewer packages, uses IceWM, and internationalization, plus some other things. KDE 3.4 is the problem.
Many Thanks,
nibl
I've never had good results with a dist-upgrade under Knoppix.Originally Posted by nibl
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
If I try to install the package I need, apt tells me kdelibs4c2 is required and I get stuck there. It's a no go. dist-upgrade will at least do the KDE update...only it breaks other things
Any ideas how to get around the dependency problems?
How do you update KDE for Knoppix?
Thanks,
nibl
I was also forced to upgrade to KDE 3.4.2 from KDE 3.4.1 because of broken finnish language package. About a month ago everything was very easy and dist-upgrade didn't cause any extra problem.Originally Posted by nibl
Now the situation is not the same. If you have testing and unstable in your /etc/apt/sources.list, dist-upgrade wants to install X.org instead of XFree86. And I have not succeeded to get X.org to start automatically after burning CD.
So you must check carefully what is to be installed. Don't install x11-common because then xfree86 don't start anymore. I think this is a Debian packaging problem because at this stage X.org is not installed. You get only a message that you should install x-window-system metapackage. It uses xorg.conf instead of XFConfig-4 - so you should rename it to that or make a symlink to get X to start. I have not investigated that very much, so I can't tell how to get X.org to work propelly.
But those dependency problems are caused because of packages have files which have same names. You can bypass that by adding to /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg a new line force-overwrite. It doesn't break anything. But no dependency problems after that
-tapsa-

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99