Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Win32 Codecs for Knoppix - a few questions

  1. #1

    Win32 Codecs for Knoppix - a few questions

    Hello,

    I'm rather new to Linux and have been playing around with Knoppix DVD 4.0.2 for a few weeks now. So far it is great but I do have a question regarding videos and such.

    I am trying to get .wmv and other types of Windows Media files to play in the various players included in Knoppix. It would appear the Win32 codecs are not included in the lastest distro. I'm curious as to why, since I've found them for free on various Linux sites.

    I've downloaded the codecs and got instructions on how to install them. One little snag. I can't exactly install them to a compressed DVD...without doing the whole re-mastering thing right? Is it possible to place Xine, Kaffiene, or another of those players on a Windows NTFS hard drive with all the needed codecs - then run it from inside of Knoppix?

    Any ideas?

    -Agamemnon_god

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    It would appear the Win32 codecs are not included in the lastest distro. I'm curious as to why, since I've found them for free on various Linux sites
    They are not free (free as in freedom) to be distributed. Quicktime, Windows Media & other codecs have less restrictive licenses as compared to most software but they are still not GPL compatible, so inclusion on a CD/DVD for distribution is most likely in violation of the codec's license.

    I can't exactly install them to a compressed DVD...without doing the whole re-mastering thing right?
    Knoppix allows you to install new software on a live running system (running from a CD/DVD). You do not need to remaster in order to run new software since changes made (or software installed) is stored in the system's RAM. As soon as the system is shutdown or rebooted, then the changes made (or software installed) is lost.

    Is it possible to place Xine, Kaffiene, or another of those players on a Windows NTFS hard drive with all the needed codecs - then run it from inside of Knoppix?
    Sure. Your method is a way of getting aaroung the lost changes. Store all the .DEBs, .TAR.GZs on a NTFS partition and install them at each bootup of Knoppix.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    57

    Re: Win32 Codecs for Knoppix - a few questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon_god
    Hello,

    I'm rather new to Linux and have been playing around with Knoppix DVD 4.0.2 for a few weeks now. So far it is great but I do have a question regarding videos and such.

    I am trying to get .wmv and other types of Windows Media files to play in the various players included in Knoppix. It would appear the Win32 codecs are not included in the lastest distro. I'm curious as to why, since I've found them for free on various Linux sites.

    I've downloaded the codecs and got instructions on how to install them. One little snag. I can't exactly install them to a compressed DVD...without doing the whole re-mastering thing right? Is it possible to place Xine, Kaffiene, or another of those players on a Windows NTFS hard drive with all the needed codecs - then run it from inside of Knoppix?

    Any ideas?
    Go here (read it first). I just figured it out:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16133

Similar Threads

  1. Installing video codecs
    By Fatcharlie in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 05:18 AM
  2. How to use X-Win32 for X-windows !
    By yangwawa in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 07:35 AM
  3. Xine on Knoppix and codecs.
    By ignuu2 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2003, 04:47 PM
  4. DOS WIN32 customized Knoppix?
    By Darkehorse in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-01-2003, 07:16 PM
  5. including codecs for xine
    By seki in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 05:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G) picture

Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G)

$32.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$59.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00