-
Run as root
Hello,
I'm a Windows expert but new to Linux and just installed Knoppix to my HD (debian). For my USB Modem, I needed a driver, and I found and installed one correctly.
The problem is: The driver start program has to be run as root. So this is what I do:
1) at the login screen, I go to the console mode (since I cannot login as root, is this normal? on Win I can do this
)
2) then I start the program (well it's not exactly a driver but a helping program that others have created, still beta etc)
3) everything works well
4) then I go back to the login screen and login
5) then Knoppix hangs by "initializing drivers" or something, but this is probably due to the beta status of the driver
When I run the program from my account, there are insufficient permissions for nice.
My question:
How to run a program as root without logging out etc etc?
or
Can I run the program from my account by setting permissions, and how?
(well you see... I think in Windows!)
BTW the driver is http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/.
But I think my question belongs here since it is mainly about starting a program as root, and thus a Linux related question.
Similar Threads
-
By daemax in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-26-2004, 02:05 AM
-
By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-27-2004, 03:31 PM
-
By rbeabout in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-16-2003, 05:15 PM
-
By gnosys in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 03-21-2003, 07:13 AM
-
By KnoDeb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-06-2003, 09:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC 16TB ThunderBay 4 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 External Hard Drive RAID - 100% Health
$1212.00

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49