Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Stopping KDM

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    22

    Stopping KDM

    After a remaster kdm has configured itself to run.

    How do you change it back to the default so that startx runs insteasd of kdm?

    Thanks,

    nibl

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Stopping KDM

    Quote Originally Posted by nibl
    After a remaster kdm has configured itself to run.
    What version of Knoppix are you using to remaster?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    22
    It's 3.7, since we need kernel 2.4.x

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    nibl

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by nibl
    It's 3.7, since we need kernel 2.4.x
    Any ideas?
    Not any good ones. I've remastered using 3.8.2 and I've never had an issue. Unfortunatley for your needs 3.8.2 uses the 2.6 kernel. Have you tried a "trivial remaster" using 3.7? Here are my notes for doing a trivial remaster using 3.8.2. By "trivial" I don't mean the process is trivial, but rather the result is trivial. The steps are a nice positive control to make a working version of Knoppix.

    In your particular case, why did you remaster? That is, what's different between your remaster and the original? I'd start by looking at the steps you did to make the remastered version.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    22
    What I need to do is update KDE to 3.4 in order to solve a dependency of an internationalization package (KDE Lithuanian).

    Can you update KDE without doing a dist-upgrade?

    I'll look at your trivial remaster, looks interesting in any case. My chrooted remaster works fine, and other updates work okay. It has fewer packages, uses IceWM, and internationalization, plus some other things. KDE 3.4 is the problem.

    Many Thanks,

    nibl

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by nibl
    What I need to do is update KDE to 3.4 in order to solve a dependency of an internationalization package (KDE Lithuanian).

    Can you update KDE without doing a dist-upgrade?
    I've never had good results with a dist-upgrade under Knoppix.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    22
    If I try to install the package I need, apt tells me kdelibs4c2 is required and I get stuck there. It's a no go. dist-upgrade will at least do the KDE update...only it breaks other things

    Any ideas how to get around the dependency problems?
    How do you update KDE for Knoppix?

    Thanks,

    nibl

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by nibl
    Any ideas how to get around the dependency problems?
    How do you update KDE for Knoppix?
    I was also forced to upgrade to KDE 3.4.2 from KDE 3.4.1 because of broken finnish language package. About a month ago everything was very easy and dist-upgrade didn't cause any extra problem.

    Now the situation is not the same. If you have testing and unstable in your /etc/apt/sources.list, dist-upgrade wants to install X.org instead of XFree86. And I have not succeeded to get X.org to start automatically after burning CD.

    So you must check carefully what is to be installed. Don't install x11-common because then xfree86 don't start anymore. I think this is a Debian packaging problem because at this stage X.org is not installed. You get only a message that you should install x-window-system metapackage. It uses xorg.conf instead of XFConfig-4 - so you should rename it to that or make a symlink to get X to start. I have not investigated that very much, so I can't tell how to get X.org to work propelly.

    But those dependency problems are caused because of packages have files which have same names. You can bypass that by adding to /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg a new line force-overwrite. It doesn't break anything. But no dependency problems after that


    -tapsa-

Similar Threads

  1. Mouse-Wheel stopping while browsing
    By killozap in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 08:47 AM
  2. Saving Configuration/stopping autoconfig?
    By ShaunMcGoldrick in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 01:15 AM
  3. stopping hackers?
    By pau in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 08:03 AM
  4. when running or stopping knoppix are files left in HD?
    By glt4392 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:32 PM
  5. NTFS stopping me from booting?
    By Eradicator in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2003, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$12.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01