-
incomplete install from external dvd 5.1.1
Running on an Dell Inspiron 8100 with a dvd connected over usb (no bios support for booting an over the usb) I was able to achieve a partial boot by means of transfering the linux file and the minirt.gz file from the isolinux directory of the dvd to an existing grub.conf file and then guess at the content and format of the paragraph content to initiated the boot from hard drive. The aspect of the boot process that did not complete were :
1) the browser wiith presentation of the introduction to knoppix did not present of the desk top
2) the wall paper did not present
3) most of the desktop icons did not present. I expected to see icons for recogized partitions and an icon for the home directory. There may others that I missed.
Aside from that I seem to have a fully functional system, as far as I can determine, I would like to change my install so that it would reflect the standard distribution. Thank you for any assistance.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: incomplete install from external dvd 5.1.1

Originally Posted by
kapper
... I would like to change my install so that it would reflect the standard distribution. ....
You keep using the word install. Are you trying to install Linux to your hard disk, or just put a file there to get past your USB boot problems? If trying to really install Linux to hard disk, I suggest using a distro intended for that, Knoppix really isn't suitable. If just trying to force a boot from a USB disc, we do have some knowledgeable people here who may be able to help, but I would avoid using the term install if you mean boot.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
incomplete install from external dvd 5.1.1
The subject title for this thread should be : incomplete boot ...
Does someone have experience with extlinux to boot the files KNOPPIX.iso and KNOPPIX2.iso
With regard to suitability, the previous entry may very well be correct still this is a learning experience for me. My intent is to continue to examine the hard drive boot of iso files.
-
some progress
I have come closer to my objective by means of including the cheatcode for tohd=/dev/xyz and fromhd=/dev/xyz in the /boot/grub/grub.conf file
I hope to find a means of boot the compressed files such that the process will not require any reference to an external drive.
If anyone judges that this objective is unreasonalble or unwise, I would like to know the reasoning for that judgement. thanks to all regardless.
Similar Threads
-
By tgodkin in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-23-2009, 05:43 AM
-
By luken in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-10-2008, 02:33 AM
-
By pvishnoi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-25-2006, 03:34 PM
-
By doremi99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2005, 09:50 PM
-
By daneel101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854
$225.00

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs
$49.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99