Is this Smart Link modem? http://www.smlink.com/content.aspx?id=132
The file contains the installation instructions. Installation instruction can be viewed also http://www.smlink.com/objects/Linux_instruction.txt
I installed knoppix 4.0.2 and tried to setup my smart link modem to work. I install 2 packages; sl-modem-source and sl-modem demon. But do not know how to generate the driver from sl-modem-source. Can someone help?
In Kanotix there is a prebuilt driver but for kernel 2.6.11 not 2.6.12. Is there any prebuilt drivers for Knoppix 4.0.2?
Is this Smart Link modem? http://www.smlink.com/content.aspx?id=132
The file contains the installation instructions. Installation instruction can be viewed also http://www.smlink.com/objects/Linux_instruction.txt
Thanks. I had this package did the following:
make
make install
but the drivers are installed in /lib/modules/2.6.12-386 and not in /lib/modules/2.6.12. So I copied them to /lib/modules/2.6.12/extra and did:
depmod -a
I tried to modprobe them and got the following:
root@box:/usr/src/modules/sl-modem/drivers# modprobe slamr
FATAL: Error inserting slamr (/lib/modules/2.6.12/extra/slamr.ko): Invalid module format
I think this because the linux-headers package is for 2.6.12-386 and the kernel come with knoppix 4 is 2.6.12. I could not locate the kernel headers for 2.6.12. Do you know where to find it?
You might want to try Kanotix (Knoppix based)... The SLmodem support is built-in and just needs a simple script command to start. MEPIS is even easier -- the modem is already configured when you start it up.
Thanks alot Jone C. I have tried Kanotix and it does as you said. However, I am doing a remaster of knoppix 4.0.2 and trying to have sl-modem to work as a default modem exactly as in Kanotix. I have installed linux-source-2.6.12 package and compiled it. Then I did the following at the top of the folder /usr/src/linux-2.6.12:
make-kpkg modules-image
and got the following package:
sl-modem-modules-2.6.12_2.9.9d-7+10.00.Custom_i386.deb
I installed it and it did work. I connected to the internet. But, after rebooting my PC, the sl-modem-deamon dies imeadiatly. I tried to retart it several times. It retsarts but dies again. I checked the /dev/modem and /dev/ttySL0 links. Both are there but not linked to any other device. I hope some one can help here.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate Exos ST20000NM003C 20TB CMR 7200RPM SATA6Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive
$509.99
Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99