Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How can I get sl-modem to work in knoppix 4.0.2?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103

    How can I get sl-modem to work in knoppix 4.0.2?

    I installed knoppix 4.0.2 and tried to setup my smart link modem to work. I install 2 packages; sl-modem-source and sl-modem demon. But do not know how to generate the driver from sl-modem-source. Can someone help?

    In Kanotix there is a prebuilt driver but for kernel 2.6.11 not 2.6.12. Is there any prebuilt drivers for Knoppix 4.0.2?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Is this Smart Link modem? http://www.smlink.com/content.aspx?id=132

    The file contains the installation instructions. Installation instruction can be viewed also http://www.smlink.com/objects/Linux_instruction.txt

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    Thanks. I had this package did the following:
    make
    make install

    but the drivers are installed in /lib/modules/2.6.12-386 and not in /lib/modules/2.6.12. So I copied them to /lib/modules/2.6.12/extra and did:
    depmod -a
    I tried to modprobe them and got the following:
    root@box:/usr/src/modules/sl-modem/drivers# modprobe slamr
    FATAL: Error inserting slamr (/lib/modules/2.6.12/extra/slamr.ko): Invalid module format

    I think this because the linux-headers package is for 2.6.12-386 and the kernel come with knoppix 4 is 2.6.12. I could not locate the kernel headers for 2.6.12. Do you know where to find it?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Texada Is. BC Canada
    Posts
    18

    Make it easy..

    You might want to try Kanotix (Knoppix based)... The SLmodem support is built-in and just needs a simple script command to start. MEPIS is even easier -- the modem is already configured when you start it up.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    Thanks alot Jone C. I have tried Kanotix and it does as you said. However, I am doing a remaster of knoppix 4.0.2 and trying to have sl-modem to work as a default modem exactly as in Kanotix. I have installed linux-source-2.6.12 package and compiled it. Then I did the following at the top of the folder /usr/src/linux-2.6.12:
    make-kpkg modules-image
    and got the following package:
    sl-modem-modules-2.6.12_2.9.9d-7+10.00.Custom_i386.deb

    I installed it and it did work. I connected to the internet. But, after rebooting my PC, the sl-modem-deamon dies imeadiatly. I tried to retart it several times. It retsarts but dies again. I checked the /dev/modem and /dev/ttySL0 links. Both are there but not linked to any other device. I hope some one can help here.

Similar Threads

  1. How to get work modem Smart Link on Knoppix 5.1.1?
    By igorx in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 02:45 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 03:57 PM
  3. Cannot get my modem to work for Knoppix 3.4
    By bluecinnabar in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 10:37 PM
  4. Modem has to dial in twice to work?
    By brianinmaine in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 08:45 PM
  5. Modem wont work with Knoppix..
    By JMichael in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 01:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98