Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Saved wireless config not persisting after reboot

  1. #1

    Saved wireless config not persisting after reboot

    I'm sure this must be a common problem... I can't be the only one using a wireless PCI card with the knoppix DVD rom distribution.

    I'm using knoppix 4.0, and am having trouble getting wireless networking settings to persist after a reboot. I get it working, and then save my config to a USB drive, but when I reboot the system, the wireless part isn't enabled.

    The settings do appear to be saved in /etc/network/wireless, and I can enable them with a "ifup -f eth0", but I shouldn't have to do this.

    Wireless card is SMC2802W (Prism54). Wireless mode is Ad-Hoc, with a WEP key.


    Any help appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Legless_Marine,

    Not sure on this, I dont deal with wireless, I use hard-wired ethernet, but, I just HATE not seeing someone get a reply on something

    So...

    To get some "background" on this... I have a few questions, then, possible solutions (these solutions, may not, be the "best", but, they may "work", dont quote me though, ok?)

    1 ) Do you have to MANUALLY enter that command? ( as a user, or as root? ) to get it working.
    2 ) You mentioned the config is being saved, right? Just not the starting of it, right?

    If the problem is that you have to manually enter the command, only... ( Im hazing on what is "actually" saved on a saved config, so, this may not be workable, if the area, or files are being saved as well ) -=- Have you tried, either placing the command in your AUTOSTART folder in .kde of your /home folder? ( details will follow, but, only if the command can be run as a USER, and not ROOT )

    If the root user has to run the command, again, not sure if this file is saved with a saved config, but, have you tried adding the command at the bottom of the file called /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh ? I tend to "fire off" a lot of things this way, but, I have a hard drive install, and the file is always active, as I said, not sure if this file is saved with the saved config stuff...

    Tell me what you think, and, if the above, might, work, we can work on it... Possibly, someone else may have better solutions, as well...

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Ms Cuddles, your reply is very appreciated, but unfortunately, didn't quite work:

    the files in Autostart are started as the "knoppix" user, and don't appear to work with "su -c...". This is a little odd, as the Knoppix user seems to have no trouble doing a straight su.

    As for bootmisc.sh, it appears that the file is not saved by saveconfig.

    I really appreciate your attempts to help, though.

    I am very disappointed that this problem hasn't been formally addressed, despite several similar postings in this forum. Knoppix is very progressive in many ways, but this gross oversight in wireless support is sad.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Legless_Marine,

    Thats the best I can come up with, myself, but, now, this, is just a long-shot, but, do you think, that maybe, this topic, could, get a better response, in, say, the Networking Forum?

    If you agree, you can either start a completely new thread in that forum, or, I can move this complete thread over to that forum for you. I am quite sure "someone" has the answer, its just getting to those people

    Let me know, how I can help any further,
    Ms. Cuddles

  5. #5
    Excellent idea, Ms cuddles. I've posted another in that forum.

Similar Threads

  1. KDE .Autostart not persisting when saved to memory stick
    By Seydlitz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 11:57 PM
  2. CD 5.0.1 saved config (partial) failure
    By zoltanthegypsy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2006, 04:39 AM
  3. Saved Wireless settings aren't persisting after reboot.
    By Legless_Marine in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 08:00 PM
  4. Wireless config not being loaded from saved config.
    By Legless_Marine in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 04:13 AM
  5. no wireless from saved config
    By puggled in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 04:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99