Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: What wireless card will just work?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22

    What wireless card will just work?

    What wireless card will work with knoppix? Plug and play...

    I'll buy whatever card it is, I'm using knoppix 4.0.2...

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    We have a wireless networking section in the wiki. I've mentioned there one Belkin card that works for me. However, be careful; many times manufacturers change chipsets but keep the same card model number (Dlink for example has made many different DWL-650 cards, some are reported to work under Knoppix but mine that use different chip sets do not), so it's pretty hard to be 100% certain that a card will be well supported. My card is marked ver. 2101 with a paper sticker on the box if that helps, I would expect cards with the same ver number to use the same chips, but if the version number is different I wouldn't trust the card to work.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    26
    Last year, I first tried Knoppix 3.6 or 3.7 as an absolute newbie. I was sitting in a WiFi coffee house that I frequent, and downloaded Knoppix via WiFi. Then I burned the iso, booted the CD, and it worked the first time (Windows XP Home).

    My Netgear MA401 WiFi card was still in the slot, so I tried to connect to the Internet. No problem. Worked the first time (to my surprise) with no user intervention.

    A few days later, I was in a different WiFi coffee house. I booted directly to Knoppix CD, without first using Windows. No matter what I did, I could not get the wireless to connect. The card was recognized, but the transmitter was not. So I re-booted to Windows, connected to the WiFi, and worked awhile. Later, while still there, I re-booted to Knoppix - and this time, it immediately recognized the WiFi transmitter! I was able to connect to the Internet in Knoppix.

    This leads me to believe that the particular card, and maybe some others, store channel information within the card itself. Apparently, Knoppix (at the time) was unable to connect to a previously-unconnected channel, but was able to connect to a previously-connected (by Windows) channel. It could not have obtained that information from the hard drive.

    I should point out that the WiFi was not password-protected.

    I don't know the technology for sure; I am merely guessing. I haven't tried to connect yet with 4.0.2 (not near WiFi these days).

Similar Threads

  1. PCM Wireless card does not work
    By cliffd7 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 08:30 PM
  2. Any live cd's that work with my wireless card?
    By g4hsean in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2006, 10:03 PM
  3. At tips on getting my pcmia wireless card to work
    By clevtoolmaker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2006, 10:54 PM
  4. First timer, my wireless card won't work?
    By DericLee in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2006, 05:54 PM
  5. Wireless card doesn't work
    By Carlsym in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 05:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$678.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New

$399.99



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch, 8 Port GE, Desktop picture

Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch, 8 Port GE, Desktop

$44.99