-
Junior Member
registered user
Last year, I first tried Knoppix 3.6 or 3.7 as an absolute newbie. I was sitting in a WiFi coffee house that I frequent, and downloaded Knoppix via WiFi. Then I burned the iso, booted the CD, and it worked the first time (Windows XP Home).
My Netgear MA401 WiFi card was still in the slot, so I tried to connect to the Internet. No problem. Worked the first time (to my surprise) with no user intervention.
A few days later, I was in a different WiFi coffee house. I booted directly to Knoppix CD, without first using Windows. No matter what I did, I could not get the wireless to connect. The card was recognized, but the transmitter was not. So I re-booted to Windows, connected to the WiFi, and worked awhile. Later, while still there, I re-booted to Knoppix - and this time, it immediately recognized the WiFi transmitter! I was able to connect to the Internet in Knoppix.
This leads me to believe that the particular card, and maybe some others, store channel information within the card itself. Apparently, Knoppix (at the time) was unable to connect to a previously-unconnected channel, but was able to connect to a previously-connected (by Windows) channel. It could not have obtained that information from the hard drive.
I should point out that the WiFi was not password-protected.
I don't know the technology for sure; I am merely guessing. I haven't tried to connect yet with 4.0.2 (not near WiFi these days).
Similar Threads
-
By cliffd7 in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-30-2007, 08:30 PM
-
By g4hsean in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-28-2006, 10:03 PM
-
By clevtoolmaker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-26-2006, 10:54 PM
-
By DericLee in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-13-2006, 05:54 PM
-
By Carlsym in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video
$225.00

Apple Macintosh SE/30 Vintage All-In-One Desktop Computer Model M5119
$292.92

VTG 2001 Apple Mac OS X v10.0.3 Retail Software CD OEM With SEALED Manual See..
$58.97

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage
$224.10

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

Vintage MAC Data Desk 101E Model 1069 Keyboard QWERTY Bundle with Box
$99.99

Apple Macintosh PowerBook Duo MiniDock Portable Mini Dock M7780 Vintage Mac RARE
$136.99

Vintage Radius TPD Two Page Display Mac SE/30 Video Card w/ Cables & Accessories
$60.00

Kensington System Saver Fan for Vintage Early Mac WORKS
$119.00

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00