-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
davejay
After trying many of these Live CD runarounds on Dell comuters and HP computers
Looks like you have not yet found a solution in Knoppix that works for you? Maybe it is the budget (cheap) hardware you are trying it on. Dells and HPs are notorious for budget graphics and numerous display issues, especially in notebooks. Resolution and display errors can often be caused by insufficient graphics memory, improper driver selection, improper bios settings (Video Memory especially), the need of a Bios Update, etc. It sometimes takes a little experimentation to find a solution. That's the challenge of running an alternate OS.

Originally Posted by
davejay
I don't want to make a career commitment to get them to run.
Then you might want to go back to windows?

Originally Posted by
davejay
Knoppix is a total insult!
Just because YOU don't know how to make it work, doesn't mean Knoppix or any other distro is a bust! There are people out there that need to have their hands held to accomplish most simple tasks in life. That's why tech support people will ask "Is it plugged in? Is it turned on?" and so forth. So if it "Insults" you by not holding your hand, go out and get a puppy......No Wait.....Better not get something alive that you would have to care for or spend time with! Maybe a "Pet Rock?"

Originally Posted by
davejay
If their quality control is that poor, I just throw that ISO in the can and say well I wasted a little time!
AND exactly what were you expecting for NOTHING? Mine works fine and I paid about the same as you did, unless you "Bought" a disk. I just spent a little time to learn how to make it work without blaming someone else for my ignorance! I have been able to get Knoppix to work on EVERY system I have tried it on. Some have different issues and some have none, it takes perseverance and some intelligence to get them working. Sometimes there might be an issue that requires some extra effort, a workaround, or sometimes it requires a wait for a bug fix. I see many success stories and people that have found solutions to their dilemmas. I have also seen people give up and become frustrated because they do not have the patience and ability to make something work. I guess you can give up and not learn anything useful. I also suppose you can try to blame it on something/someone other than yourself. What distro have YOU produced recently?
Similar Threads
-
By kuhwallskee in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-08-2006, 09:13 AM
-
By cvevans in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-16-2006, 05:13 PM
-
By larry_filewalker in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2006, 03:19 PM
-
By pandamonium54 in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-10-2004, 01:20 AM
-
By backdoc in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-31-2003, 02:31 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00