Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix 4.0 on a USB Stick

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix 4.0 on a USB Stick

    A lot of topics cover this issue, but as far as I can see they cover previous versions of knoppix. However I want to create a linux on my USB stick and will use knoppix as a base for this. I have read the how to by Matthias Muller, and he refer to a file called boot.img under KNOPPIX. I have downloaded the english CD version of knoppix and can't find any file called boot.img. Is it suppose to be there or not. And if not, can I use an other boot.img to modify. Or even better, does anyone know of a document for installing knoppix 4.0 on a USB STICK (not USB HD)?

    Regards


  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: Knoppix 4.02 on a USB Stick

    Quote Originally Posted by thorvik
    A lot of topics cover this issue, but as far as I can see they cover previous versions of knoppix. However I want to create a linux on my USB stick and will use knoppix as a base for this. I have read the how to by Matthias Muller, and he refer to a file called boot.img under KNOPPIX. I have downloaded the english CD version of knoppix and can't find any file called boot.img. Is it suppose to be there or not. And if not, can I use an other boot.img to modify. Or even better, does anyone know of a document for installing knoppix 4.0 on a USB STICK (not USB HD)? Regards
    Have a look in here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=93758#93758
    This thread also describes how to run knoppix from the hdd without creating a new partition for knoppix and without touching the mbr or the boot sector of your disk/partition. This is a very clean way and much faster way to run Knoppix than from the cd/dvd/usb. Please give me some feedback and let me if it works for you.
    Best Regards, Gilles

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4
    I have now tested several solutions but they all gives me boot failed. Nothing more. I have folloved:

    http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/ by Matthias Müller
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64999
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=93758#93758

    With the last link it booted to something that looked liked GRUB. I would prefer my system to boot to a customised system and the same way as with the CD. But I am lost? There must be a way, I can see many has done it with previous versions of knoppix. The worst thing is that the system doesn't report how far you get. Only boot failed. Help or ideas would be appreciated

    Regards


  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by thorvik
    I have now tested several solutions but they all gives me boot failed. Nothing more...
    I have it running on quite a few systems (some diskless).
    But I some cases I had to update the config files...
    Which version of knoppix are you trying to boot ? Did you try 4.0.2 ?
    After Grub, what happend ? Do you get the kernel and initrd loaded ?
    Can you please be more explicit than just "boot failed" ? what are the previous messages ?
    What is your setup ? ide/scsi disks ? pata or sata ?
    The usb dongle is seens as a scsi/sata device(/dev/sd..), so if you have such a device on your system,
    (even the T43 Thinkpads is using a sata/pata bridge) you may need to change the kernel bootfrom cheatcode.
    Best Regards, Gilles

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4
    When using the MS Dos (io.sys) I boot in to something that lookes like GRUB. I can give GRUB commands. But I don't want to use GRUB, I would like the dongle to go straigh into knoppix, like with the CD.

    To me it apears that the system finds a boot record since it says "boot failed". And not the usual "no systemdisk, replace and press any key". The dongle apears as sda1 in my system. I have issued the syslinux /dev/sda1 command. So it boot with the dongle to some extent, but I don't get the options. I have also edited the minirt file.

    I am trying to boot 4.02, after grub nothing loaded, my setup is ide/pata and the usb device is seen as a scsi device in KNOPPIX. There are no previos messages to "boot failed".

    I have modified the menu.lst files, but Im not sure which device (hd0,0 fd0,x) the dongle apears as.



  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4
    Ok, now I have testet to boot up with a clean formated USB stick, and the system cries, No system disk, replace and press any key. So obiously, after running syslinux it the BIOS finds a system, but boot fails in the process.


Similar Threads

  1. booting knoppix from usb stick
    By davman1971 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 02:28 AM
  2. Knoppix von usb stick booten
    By davman1971 in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 03:12 PM
  3. Knoppix on a USB Stick
    By graham_k in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 07:45 AM
  4. Does Knoppix from USB Stick with 2 partitions
    By spyhome in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 04:15 PM
  5. Knoppix 3.3: USB stick is not recognized
    By Messiaen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA picture

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA

$139.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vintage Schlesinger 17

Vintage Schlesinger 17" Leather Briefcase Classic Flap Whiskey Brown Attache EUC

$99.99



Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s picture

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s

$169.99



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99