-
Senior Member
registered user
Remastered knoppix 3.8 with gnome - but no sound on CD
I have succeeded in remastring knoppix 3.8 with gnome finally. However, the sound does not work on CD. After HD install every thing works fine. It seems to me that it is a conflict between esd and alsa. Any suggestion?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Remastered knoppix 3.8 with gnome - but no sound on CD

Originally Posted by
knopx4me
I have succeeded in remastring knoppix 3.8 with gnome finally. However, the sound does not work on CD. After HD install every thing works fine. It seems to me that it is a conflict between esd and alsa. Any suggestion?
I have tried to remaster Gnome too but got frustrated because I could not get hal loaded automatically, because it needs some files from /var/run/dbus directory, and it gets emptied during cleanup process.
Of course, you have gnome-volume-manager installed?
The other thing in my remastering: I can't get gnome started automatically. If I start my remastering in runlevel 2, 'init 5' don't start Gnome. But 'su - knoppix' and 'startx' works.
I tried to install gnx-installer too but it needs some KDE packages as kdm and kdelibs4. I hope I get Knoppix DVD in my hand soon. There is Gnome also included and I think it can be started with cheatcode 'desktop=gnome'.
This is not an answer to your question, sorry, but I try to get other people also remaster Knoppix with Gnome - so there would be more experience to share 
-tapsa-
-
Senior Member
registered user
tr
It seems to me there is something preventing alsa initializing. After running the CD I did alsaconf and got everything to work. I wish some one can help in resolving this issue. Once I complete it I will try to upload it to the net so everyone can remaster for his needs.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Problem solved by installing gstreamer0.8-oss_0.8.11-1_i386.deb. Now, sound works fine. However, this made the remastered knoppix less stable like Parsix. I hope some one can offer a solution. I noticed that Gnoppix uses Xorg instead of XFree86 does that help?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Ok. All problems solved by replacing kernel image with the one comes with Kanotix along with all required packages.
-

Originally Posted by
knopx4me
Ok. All problems solved by replacing kernel image with the one comes with Kanotix along with all required packages.
is there somewhere a step-by-step howto from kde to gnome remastering ?
I have almost succeeded (startx in a chroot is ok, with sound
but what if I wand gdm to log automatically a user, say knoppix ?
(e.g. I want to remove stuff like kdeinit and kdesmserver, and so on...)
thanks for any help
-
Senior Member
registered user
To install Gnome I followed the following:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ht=mepis+gnome
To remaster it I used:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867
Thanks to James.
I made Gnome the default desktop in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig and /etc/X11/Xsession/45Xsession
To make gdm logon knoppix as the default user, I started gdm as root in chrooted environment and selected that.
Similar Threads
-
By CytoTech in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 7
Last Post: 09-14-2005, 04:47 PM
-
By rust in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-27-2004, 07:45 PM
-
By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-16-2004, 11:09 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM
-
By mehlng in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$385.00

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$218.79

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic
$24.95