Ok, so I've got a 40 gig hd hooked up to my computer. I need to format it and then copy files onto it to use as a backup drive as my windws installaiton died. I used qtparted to clear out the previous partition onthe HD, and then asked it for format it in ext3. That all went just swell, but it says that there is 2.33 gig used... but I just formated - it should be empty!
So, I asked qtparted to format it into fat32... and this time only 32mb was used.
But I'd rather just use a linux format so there's less work converting between file systems... does that make sense?
I was going to try using format from the command line, but that says command not found. So, pleaese help me, what is the best way to go about accomplish my task of formatting the HD, and how should I do it? I'm not a total n00b with linux but I'm not any kid of expirenced user either. Thanks![]()
(Oh, and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I did search and I couldn't find anything)

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$52.99
SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac
$60.00
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80
M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health
$35.99
SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps
$37.99
128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos
$123.90
Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD
$13.00