Ok, so I've got a 40 gig hd hooked up to my computer. I need to format it and then copy files onto it to use as a backup drive as my windws installaiton died. I used qtparted to clear out the previous partition onthe HD, and then asked it for format it in ext3. That all went just swell, but it says that there is 2.33 gig used... but I just formated - it should be empty!
So, I asked qtparted to format it into fat32... and this time only 32mb was used.
But I'd rather just use a linux format so there's less work converting between file systems... does that make sense?
I was going to try using format from the command line, but that says command not found. So, pleaese help me, what is the best way to go about accomplish my task of formatting the HD, and how should I do it? I'm not a total n00b with linux but I'm not any kid of expirenced user either. Thanks![]()
(Oh, and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I did search and I couldn't find anything)

AppleDesign Keyboard M2980 ADB Vintage Macintosh Apple IIgs Full Size Tested
$54.99
Macintosh Pascal Lowell Carmony Robert Holliday Vintage 1985 Apple Mac Tech Book
$25.00
Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99
Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00
Vintage Apple Keyboard M0116 ADB Macintosh Mechanical Tested Working w Cable
$79.99
Apple Extended Keyboard M0115 ADB Vintage Macintosh Tested Working w/ Cable
$144.99
Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested
$299.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$155.00
Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage
$249.00
Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces
$40.99