Ok, so I've got a 40 gig hd hooked up to my computer. I need to format it and then copy files onto it to use as a backup drive as my windws installaiton died. I used qtparted to clear out the previous partition onthe HD, and then asked it for format it in ext3. That all went just swell, but it says that there is 2.33 gig used... but I just formated - it should be empty!
So, I asked qtparted to format it into fat32... and this time only 32mb was used.
But I'd rather just use a linux format so there's less work converting between file systems... does that make sense?
I was going to try using format from the command line, but that says command not found. So, pleaese help me, what is the best way to go about accomplish my task of formatting the HD, and how should I do it? I'm not a total n00b with linux but I'm not any kid of expirenced user either. Thanks![]()
(Oh, and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I did search and I couldn't find anything)

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99