Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: formatting issues with qtparted

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3

    formatting issues with qtparted

    Ok, so I've got a 40 gig hd hooked up to my computer. I need to format it and then copy files onto it to use as a backup drive as my windws installaiton died. I used qtparted to clear out the previous partition onthe HD, and then asked it for format it in ext3. That all went just swell, but it says that there is 2.33 gig used... but I just formated - it should be empty!

    So, I asked qtparted to format it into fat32... and this time only 32mb was used.

    But I'd rather just use a linux format so there's less work converting between file systems... does that make sense?

    I was going to try using format from the command line, but that says command not found. So, pleaese help me, what is the best way to go about accomplish my task of formatting the HD, and how should I do it? I'm not a total n00b with linux but I'm not any kid of expirenced user either. Thanks

    (Oh, and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I did search and I couldn't find anything)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    the ext3 filesystem WILL use a bit of space to make journals. that is information that help recover errors from powerfailiures, incorect shutdown, incomplete writes...
    as it says in the manual for mkfs.ext3
    -J journal-options
    Create the ext3 journal using options specified on the command-line. Journal options are comma separated, and may take an argument using
    the equals ('=') sign. The following journal options are supported:

    size=journal-size
    Create an internal journal (i.e., stored inside the filesystem) of size journal-size megabytes. The size of the journal must
    be at least 1024 filesystem blocks (i.e., 1MB if using 1k blocks, 4MB if using 4k blocks, etc.) and may be no more than
    102,400 filesystem blocks.
    that is if you issue the comand
    Code:
    mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -cc -j /dev/hd
    in a 100M filesystem, you will at LEAST loose 4Mb, that is one inode, for the recoveryjournal

Similar Threads

  1. Formatting USB drive
    By selinger in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2010, 03:12 PM
  2. formatting issues with qtparted
    By matttail in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2005, 09:58 PM
  3. FAT32 formatting?
    By Li Gwai Lo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 08:53 PM
  4. Formatting
    By Spike in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 05:51 PM
  5. Anybody been successful formatting w/ xfs?
    By rickenbacherus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 08:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch

$175.00