Cheatcode unionrw works (reasonably well) in Kanotix. I have a folder sda1/union so I use the cheatcode
unionrw=/mnt/sda1/union
Not all things are 'unionable'; I don't know if this works in Knoppix though.
drb
Can you replace UNIONFS to point to a hard disk instead of the RAM DISK?![]()
In that way, i guess all changes can be restored at boot time right? if so how can changes be restored?
thanks
Cheatcode unionrw works (reasonably well) in Kanotix. I have a folder sda1/union so I use the cheatcode
unionrw=/mnt/sda1/union
Not all things are 'unionable'; I don't know if this works in Knoppix though.
drb
thanks a lot drb, i ll try it out and see what i can do...Originally Posted by drb
![]()
Does NOT work with Knoppix 4.0.2 unfortunately. Looks like a pretty necessary feature, as ramdisk is very limited size wise and volatile (i.e. does not survive a reboot) with regards to retaining the programs installed.
You need to write a new folder called union on your pen drive / hard drive first. Then call unionrw=etc. If you've already done that . . . try kanotix?
drb
knoppix 4.0.2 already support unionfs mount not only ramdisk, but the whole system l guess.
I previously answer the simiar question at there:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...49c9400c703c73
ckyip
I don't believe that's the case. unionrw allows union directories / files to be retained in a future reboot otherwise the LiveCD files will start each time. unionrw manages apt-get update and (software) install at future reboots.
drb

HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Blade Server BAREBONES NO CPU, RAM OR HDD 🚚
$140.00
Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99
NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97
Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60
Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis
$274.99
Sealed HPE ProLiant BL460c Gen9 2x E5-2699v3 384GB 2x300GB 15K SAS 727021-B21
$2499.95
Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99
Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*
$159.99
Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08