-
knoppix.sh problems
I am succefully booting knoppix from a USB key. I have two stranger problems however:
1. When I boot, if I type "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/uba1" then knoppix succesfully finds the knoppix.sh file on the root of my usb key. If instead I add "myconfig=/mnt/uba1" to the APPEND line of the appropriate syslinux.cfg section, knoppix does NOT see the knoppix.sh file. Why? (I confirmed this by adding the line 'echo "Test" >> /tmp/test.txt" to the knoppix.sh file.
2. More importantly, even when knoppix.sh does run, it will not start ssh! I added the line '/etc/init.d/ssh start' to the top of the knoppix.sh file. Still, it doesn't seem to run or work. I CAN run this command from a bash shell, and then sshd works great. Why is knoppix.sh not running this line?
Thanks,
Mike
-
Re: knoppix.sh problems

Originally Posted by
ocgltd
I am succefully booting knoppix from a USB key. I have two stranger problems however:
1. When I boot, if I type "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/uba1" then knoppix succesfully finds the knoppix.sh file on the root of my usb key. If instead I add "myconfig=/mnt/uba1" to the APPEND line of the appropriate syslinux.cfg section, knoppix does NOT see the knoppix.sh file. Why? (I confirmed this by adding the line 'echo "Test" >> /tmp/test.txt" to the knoppix.sh file.
If I remember this right, I think that some (old) version of syslinux have a command line length limitation. Could you try to remove some other cheatcode to verify this ? Grub doesn't have such limitation and can also be used to boot knoppix from a USB dongle.

Originally Posted by
ocgltd
2. More importantly, even when knoppix.sh does run, it will not start ssh! I added the line '/etc/init.d/ssh start' to the top of the knoppix.sh file. Still, it doesn't seem to run or work. I CAN run this command from a bash shell, and then sshd works great. Why is knoppix.sh not running this line? Thanks, Mike
The path may not be setup yet at boot time. Try to put the full path of the script in your knoopix.sh or even better cut and paste the whole thing and update the full path where required. You can use "whereis" to figure out the full path of program/scripts,...
My 2cts, Gilles
-
I'm using the latest syslinux, and I also added the myconfig= cheatcode to the front of the line (so I don't thinks its a line length limitation).
I already use the full path. Here are the top 3 lines of my knoppix.sh:
#!/bin/sh
echo "Running knoppix.sh" >> /tmp/knoppix.sh.txt
/etc/init.d.ssh start >> /tmp/sshstart.txt
I didn't know knoppix could boot a usb key! I'll switch once I get this working....
Similar Threads
-
By javiergp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
-
By wroseland in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-23-2006, 02:10 PM
-
By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
-
By lesshaste in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:50 PM
-
By pbearseven in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-14-2003, 11:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of (5) Samsung 32GB 2RX4 DDR4-2133 ECC REG RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB
$875.00

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON
$149.99