Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: booting problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    8

    booting problems

    I'm having problems booting knoppix. I've downloaded the iso file and the md5 file. It checks out. I burned the cd with my benQ miniRW burner. This is an external USB 2.0 unit. I put the cd into my cd-rom (not a benQ, and it's an internal) and start booting. Get several cloop errors, other errors, and finally a kernel panic error I think. I try using some of the cheat codes, but I'm not sure if I'm using them right. I tried testcd by typing "knoppix testcd" and then pressing enter, and it goes through the same boot process with all the errors. I tried the dma cheat, and the -b cheat.

    Help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    cloop errors usually means the CD ISO image is corrupt (you said it checked OK). Or the CDR is a bad physical media, or the CDR was burned at too fast a speed (4x or 8x preferred) or the CDROM drive is too sensitive and can't read it. If you want to solve this then you will need to burn more CDRs and experiment with different drives or media or speeds.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    8

    re burned it

    Well, I tried burning another copy of knoppix, this time at 4x.
    Much less errors. testcd worked this time, and I did get some errors. 3 to be exact.
    They were located in knoppix/images. They were a .jpg, .gif, and a .png file.

    I also got a fread magic input/output error, and modprobe fatal error inster soundcore.
    And it froze after automounter.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    8
    I tried burning on different media this time. A memorex cf-rw. Did a test cd. After it did it, it gave me a read error on the md5sum, then said everything looked ok. Still have a few cloop errors. And it just sits at the autoconfig command.

    Help?

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrodent
    Did a test cd. After it did it, it gave me a read error on the md5sum, then said everything looked ok. Still have a few cloop errors. And it just sits at the autoconfig command.
    I'm not clear on what actually happened above, but it sure seems that you know you are having read errors. These sometimes are a result of not using dma on a drive that seems to need dma, but are usually due to a high speed burn, a bad burn. bad media, a bad iso download to start with, or a bad drive (often dirt on the lense).

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrodent
    Did a test cd. After it did it, it gave me a read error on the md5sum, then said everything looked ok. Still have a few cloop errors. And it just sits at the autoconfig command.
    I'm not clear on what actually happened above, but it sure seems that you know you are having read errors. These sometimes are a result of not using dma on a drive that seems to need dma, but are usually due to a high speed burn, a bad burn. bad media, a bad iso download to start with, or a bad drive (often dirt on the lense).
    I'm buring as slow as I can. I've burned several times now on different brands of cd's. The download checks out with the checksum. You say dirt on the lens...do you mean on the lens of the drive doing the burning, or reading?

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrodent
    I'm buring as slow as I can. I've burned several times now on different brands of cd's. The download checks out with the checksum. You say dirt on the lens...do you mean on the lens of the drive doing the burning, or reading?
    It does sound like you are doing the right things. I'm still confused on how you could have errors during the test and then say everything looked OK. As to which drive, I didn't know they were different drives, but it could be either. If there is an optics problem with the writer then maybe you are writing a bad or marginal disc. If you try booting with the writer than you may have read issues with the drive even if the disc is written properly. If the boot drive is not the writer but it has optics issues then it might experience marginal reads (I've had to retire several CD drives over the years because they become marginal this way).

    If you have multiple drives and maybe multiple systems then I would certainly try the disc in other drives. But don't get caught in the "this disc worked in one drive so it must be good" trap. We see many cases of a marginal disc that works in some drives but not others. In order to convince myself I have a bad drive rather than a bad disk I have to see marginal operation on the drive and only that drive with multiple discs, preferably even some that worked before.

    It's not usually too hard to spot a bad drive. what burning software are you using and does it do a verification pass? Nero 6, for example, has an option that will go back and reread the disc and tell you if it could verify what it just wrote. This option should be enable and allowed to do a test read. This is not proof of a good burn or that the burn will not be marginal on another drive, as a high speed burn that has problems booting may still pass the verfication test; but a failure to pass the verification test indicates that it is extremely likely that you have a bad burn.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    8
    After playing with it, I've managed to burn a copy that will only run on my daughter's computer. It does seem to have some problems though. It did have a few cloop errors, but still booted. It won't play any windows media player files that are on websites, just plays sound.

    I am using Nero 5, is there a way to verify the burn with it? It is what came with my burner.

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrodent
    I am using Nero 5, is there a way to verify the burn with it? It is what came with my burner.
    Nero 5 has no option to verify an ISO burn (although it will verify some other types of burns. You can, of course, use testcd or testdvd at bioot time. You could also download a trial of Nero 6 and use it for a month free. But be sure you still have your licensed copy of Nero 5, Nero 6 will insist on removing it when it installs, your want to reinstall it when your free month is up.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrodent
    I am using Nero 5, is there a way to verify the burn with it? It is what came with my burner.
    Nero 5 has no option to verify an ISO burn (although it will verify some other types of burns. You can, of course, use testcd or testdvd at bioot time. You could also download a trial of Nero 6 and use it for a month free. But be sure you still have your licensed copy of Nero 5, Nero 6 will insist on removing it when it installs, your want to reinstall it when your free month is up.
    I dloaded nero 6, it made me unistall nero 5, and 6 won't work for me. It asks for the reg code, when I hit the demo button, it closes.

    Any other burning software you can recommend that I can try for free that verifies a burn?

    I'm really suspecting my burner is bad, which sucks. I've had it 2 years now, but this is the first time I used it. It's been sitting in a box of hardware I don't use. Any suggestions perhaps as to how to clean it (if dirt's a problem) or anything else I can do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. net problems booting PXE
    By iltmpz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 01:11 PM
  2. Booting Problems
    By jimdeviney in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 04:18 AM
  3. Problems booting. freezes when booting
    By jtsymbo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
  4. Problems booting from CD-ROM
    By login365 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 12:38 AM
  5. Problems Booting the CD
    By Mr. Chopper in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 08:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99