-
Booting on a dvdr drive
Hi. Recent, I replaced my dvd/cdrw combo unit with a dvdrw (LG GWA-4161B), but I can't boot Knoppix in the new drive: The machine freezes at "searching cdrom". I've tried 3.6 and 3.7 (Spanish), all the same. In diferent machines(with cdrw drives), with the same cds, it works fine, as should be.
P.S.: Sorry for my english
TIA
Sorry, I forgot to mention: a normal cd/rw drive instead of the dvdrw always boot knoppix.
-
I also owe an LG GWA-4161B and I'm sorry to tell you, but I think we have been fooled by LG: the drive doesn't work with DMA. Whenever I turn on dma for this drive, the data read with mixed garbage.
Apparently it writes ok, though: I can write a DVD/CD with dma turned on. But later I need to turn it off for reading.
Problem is, with DMA turned off, accessing the drive slows down the OS.
Another side effect is that I haven't been able to boot knoppix or any other linux CD -- booting with ide=nodma is not working for knoppix, don't know why ...
I works with windows -- I have no idea what it does, but it might turn off DMA automatically.
Anyway I'm no longer buying anything from them grrrr ...
Similar Threads
-
By goodguy23 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-10-2005, 09:19 PM
-
By Keilaron in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
-
By Islington in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-10-2005, 08:36 PM
-
By bl00mie in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-13-2004, 06:31 PM
-
By apu222 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-27-2002, 05:00 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08

Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included
$299.99