Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Booting on a dvdr drive

  1. #1

    Booting on a dvdr drive

    Hi. Recent, I replaced my dvd/cdrw combo unit with a dvdrw (LG GWA-4161B), but I can't boot Knoppix in the new drive: The machine freezes at "searching cdrom". I've tried 3.6 and 3.7 (Spanish), all the same. In diferent machines(with cdrw drives), with the same cds, it works fine, as should be.

    P.S.: Sorry for my english

    TIA


    Sorry, I forgot to mention: a normal cd/rw drive instead of the dvdrw always boot knoppix.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1
    I also owe an LG GWA-4161B and I'm sorry to tell you, but I think we have been fooled by LG: the drive doesn't work with DMA. Whenever I turn on dma for this drive, the data read with mixed garbage.

    Apparently it writes ok, though: I can write a DVD/CD with dma turned on. But later I need to turn it off for reading.

    Problem is, with DMA turned off, accessing the drive slows down the OS.

    Another side effect is that I haven't been able to boot knoppix or any other linux CD -- booting with ide=nodma is not working for knoppix, don't know why ...

    I works with windows -- I have no idea what it does, but it might turn off DMA automatically.

    Anyway I'm no longer buying anything from them grrrr ...

Similar Threads

  1. Booting Knoppix off a USB Drive
    By goodguy23 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 09:19 PM
  2. Booting 4.0 without a DVD drive?
    By Keilaron in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
  3. Booting from a usb 2.0 cd-rw drive?
    By Islington in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 08:36 PM
  4. dvdr boot (and other) problems
    By bl00mie in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 06:31 PM
  5. Booting from the CD-ROM drive
    By apu222 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2002, 05:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ picture

Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ

$270.00



Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 800 130XE 65XE Color S-Video, Composite Video & Audio Cable Tested picture

Atari 800 130XE 65XE Color S-Video, Composite Video & Audio Cable Tested

$29.78



Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested picture

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested

$149.99



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29