Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Cannot boot from KNOPPIX CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2

    Cannot boot from KNOPPIX CD

    I downloaded a file KNOPPIX_V.39-2005-05-27-EN.iso and copied the image to a CD (using Sonic Record Now, burn image option). I changed the BOOT order in the BIOS setting to boot from CD, but it keeps loading WIN XP. When I check the CD-ROM drive from my Windows Explorer to see if the image was burned properly, it reads that the drive is not accessible. I tried burning the image 3 times to a CD, but none of them seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Cannot boot from KNOPPIX CD

    Quote Originally Posted by tolstoy
    What am I doing wrong?
    More things than I can even guess. You certainly do not copy the image to a CD, so that's an obvious problem. But if you do, I have no idea why you wouldn't be able to see it on the CD, so you likely have other problems too. A place to start will be by reading the downloading faq (follow the documentation link near the top of this page). But you'll need to be able to produce a CD that you can actually see the files on with Windows if you expect it to boot, and I have no insight why, if you rally burnt the CD media (even improperly) that you can't see anything on it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2
    OK. I redownloaded the iso file using Bittorrent, following the instructions on the documentation link. I checked the md5 checksum using MD5Summer and got a green light for good. I burned the iso as an image file using Nero 6, exactly following the steps in the documentation link (i.e. burned at 4X, Disc at once, finalize after burning, etc)

    Now, when I boot off the CD, it appears that everything is going well, and that I get a bunch of I/O error that looks like this:

    hda: media errir (bad sector): status=
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 1384212
    Buffer I/O error

    After a few minutes of this, it goes to a black screen and it just hangs there. The CD-rom drives keeps spinning with the green activity light.

    What's my next step???

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by tolstoy
    What's my next step???
    It sounds like you are getting past the Knoppix boot prompt. This is a good sign.

    The downloading faq (which also covers booting) should touch on this, so you may want to refer to it as well as the cheat code article in the wiki.

    I would start by trying the knoppix dma cheat code, as many CD/DVD drives are showing up that seem to need DMA to read or boot properly.

    If that didn't work I would try the testcd code to see if the disc was indeed good. It certainly sounds like you did the right steps, and this test should report no read errors and no md5 errors. If there are errors you'll need to think about why (maybe a dirty CD lense, for example, or really awful media).

    If the dma cheat code doesn't help and the testcd shows a good disc, then I might look over the ceeat codes to see if anything else looks like it might help, but I expect the next thing that would be useful would be to boot with the expert code and see how far you can get and exactly at what point the boot process is failing. (this should not need to be said, but take notes.)

Similar Threads

  1. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  2. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  3. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  4. using knoppix on multi-boot CD's (boot scriptor)
    By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD picture

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD

$87.96



IBM 00FN709 X3850 X6 Compute Book 3837 Barebone picture

IBM 00FN709 X3850 X6 Compute Book 3837 Barebone

$114.99