I do not believe that there is another a uni-proc kernel for you to load. I think you can shutoff SMP by booting with the cheat code: knoppix nosmp
I am having trouble with the SMP kernel that is booted by default on a HT-P4 system, and would like to boot a uniprocessor kernel. Could someone please let me know is there is a cheatcode or other means of doing this from the 4.0.2 Live CD? I have been unable to find a way by searching the forum or google. Thanks in advance.
I do not believe that there is another a uni-proc kernel for you to load. I think you can shutoff SMP by booting with the cheat code: knoppix nosmp
Hello and welcome to Knoppix.net.
We hope that you enjoy your use of Knoppix and hope you become an active member of the community. There's no membership fee. We just ask that you help us and others by becoming familiar with Knoppix, posting questions, and letting the rest of us know how things go.
Originally Posted by fwheeler_1
The "nosmp" cheatcode should work. Let us know either way.Originally Posted by UnderScore
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
Thanks to UnderScore and Robert for their replies. The machine in question is my work computer, so I needed to wait until Monday morning to try it. I did look over the cheatcodes several times, and, unfortunately, I missed the "nosmp" option each time. Sorry I missed it, and thanks, again, for your sharp eyes.
So, this morning I booted the computer up with the 4.0.2 Live CD using knoppix nosmp boot options. I only got one penguin at the top of the screen, so I guess it was trying to boot the uniprocessor kernel. Unfortunately, it froze right after that (not even any text!), so I guess it is back to WinXP until I have time to experiment with more cheatcodes. (As a reminder, the SMP kernel did boot on this HT-P4, but there was no sound. I suspect that the SMP kernel doesn't have sound compiled in it).
--FW
Let's back up a bit. What exactly are you trying to do? You mentioned booting a single-cpu kernel, but now you mention your sound card. Do you want to boot a single CPU kernel? Or are you trying to get your sound card working? Or both? Or something else? Is your system a dual-CPU system?Originally Posted by fwheeler_1
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
I want to boot the system with the 4.0.2 Live CD and have a fully functional system.Originally Posted by rwcitek
This live cd will boot w/o any cheatcodes into the SMP kernel (it is a single processor HT-P4, so I assume that is the default for this processor). After booting, the sound will not work (SB Live!). I posted the lsmod stuff futher down in the forum under my username if you're interested. . .that posting netted no responses.
It dawned on me that the SMP kernel might not have sound compiled into it (I believe that somewhere along the line, I actually got an error message to this regard), so I thought I'd try to boot the uniprocessor kernel to see if that would work since Kanotix 2005-3 boots fine on it with sound. That's where I'm at today. Just want the computer to work with everything (exact kernel unimportant), including sound.
Thanks for your continued help, FW

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Dell PowerEdge T430 8 x 3.5 Hot Plug 2X E5-2680 V3 Twelve Core 2.5Ghz 192GB 3X 2
$949.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99
Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)
$18.99
KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00